- The Canisius College volleyball team closes out its 2008 regular-season schedule with a Battle of the Bridge contest against Niagara on Senior Night.
- Prior to the start of the match, the Golden Griffins will honor their four seniors — Morgan Ammons, Nicole Fafard, Brittany Gerde and Sarah Podlesh.
- The Golden Griffins are 11-6 in the MAAC, holding a two-match lead over Marist, Iona and Manhattan, who are currently tied for fourth place in the conference standings. The top four teams qualify for the MAAC Championship — Nov. 22-23 at Siena.
- Canisius qualifies for the MAAC Championship with a win over Niagara. Canisius can also clinch a berth with a loss by Manhattan OR a loss by Marist.
- Canisius is 8-0 at home this season in MAAC home matches and has won 13 of 15 and 22 of its last 27 league matches in the Koessler Athletic Center.
- Head coach Cathy Hummel recorded her 100th career victory with the 3-0 win over Saint Peter’s Nov. 2.
- Four Golden Griffins — Janelle Davis, Gerde and Podlesh — have played in all 105 sets this season.
- Davis has been named the MAAC Rookie of the Week four times — Oct. 20, Oct. 13, Sept. 22 and Sept. 2. Davis is the first player in program history to win the award more than two times in one season. Davis is also the only freshman in the conference to win the award four times in 2008.
- Canisius has held its opponents to an attack percentage under .200 in nine of the last 15 matches and is 8-1 in those eight matches.
- Canisius is 6-3 this season in five-set matches.
- Canisius has won three times this season after losing the first two sets of the match. Prior to 2008, the Griffs had won a match when it trailed 2-0 four times in 19 seasons.
2008 SENIOR CLASS
- Canisius will honor its four seniors prior to the start of Saturday’s match.
- Morgan Ammons is having the best season of her career as a senior, with a career-high 267 kills, .233 attack percentage and 186 digs. The Findlay, Ohio native has played in 106 matches during her career and is a two-time selection to the MAAC All-Academic Team.
- Nicole Fafard has appeared in 85 career matches, including 202 career sets. Fafard averaged 1.85 kills per set as a junior to go along with a career-high 2.14 digs. The East Setauket, N.Y. native is also a two-time selection to the MAAC All-Academic Team.
- Brittany Gerde moved to outside hitter this season after serving as the team’s primary setter as a sophomore and sharing the role in 2007. The Cincinnati, Ohio native holds the single-season program record for assists, with 1,197 during her sophomore season.
- Sarah Podlesh took over the libero role during her senior season after playing the back row during each of her first three seasons. The program’s all-time leader in service aces with 156, the Pittsford, N.Y. native has a career-high 443 digs this season.
- Niagara enters its final match of the regular season in eighth place in the conference with a 4-13 conference record and have a 6-22 overall record.
- Niagara ranks eighth in the league in attack percentage (.159), 10th in opponent attack percentage (.220), first in assists per set (11.68), third in kills per set (12.26), 10th in blocks per set (1.09), seventh in service aces per set (1.31) and fifth in digs per set (15.73).
- Kathy Bibler leads the team and ranks seventh in the MAAC in attack percentage (.260) while Hannah Hedrick leads the team in kills per set (3.08). Michelle James is second in the league in assists per set (9.99) and has been named the MAAC Rookie of the Week each of the past two weeks.
HISTORY AGAINST NIAGARA
- Niagara and Canisius are meeting for the second time in 2008, with the Golden Griffins winning the Oct. 22 matchup 3-2.
- Canisius holds a 44-32-2 advantage in the all-time series. Canisius and Niagara split the 2007 season series, each winning at home.
- Canisius has won the last five MAAC matches between the teams in the Koessler Athletic Center.
- The Griffs have won four of the last five between the teams.
SECOND OF TWO BATTLE OF THE BRIDGE MATCHUPS
- This matchup for Canisius and Niagara is the second of two Battle of the Bridge contests between the schools in volleyball for the 2008 season.
- The Battle of the Bridge is an all-sports competition between the schools. The school that wins a match earns two points. The Griffs’ 3-2 win on Oct. 22, earned Canisius two points.
- Canisius won the Canal Cup in 2007-08, awarded to the school with the most points at the end of the athletic season, after Niagara won the inaugural competition in 2006-07.
- Canisius needs 17 total points to retain the Cup. Niagara needs 18 total points to win the Cup.
- Canisius holds an 8-4 lead in the 2008-09 competition.