Game No. 22
Canisius (4-17, 1-10 MAAC) at Iona (17-5, 9-2 MAAC)
Date: Thursday, Feb. 2, 2012
Time: 7 p.m.
Place: Hynes Athletic Center - New Rochelle, N.Y.
Online Broadcast: MAAC National Game of the Week on ESPN
Talent: Bob Heussler (p-x-p) and Rob Kennedy (color)
Radio: Golden Griffin Broadcast Network
Talent: Jay Moran (p-x-p) and Dave Schofield (color)
CANISIUS TRAVELS TO PLAY AT IONA THURSDAY on
- The Canisius men's basketball team returns to the road this weekend for a pair of MAAC games, starting at Iona Thursday, Feb. 2, in New Rochelle, N.Y.
- The Golden Griffins are 4-17 overall and 1-10 in league play after falling to Loyola (Md.) at home Jan. 29 by a score of 70-52.
- Iona has won two straight and come into this contest with a 17-5 overall mark and a 9-2 league record. The Gaels are 5-1 at home this season.
FAST BREAK POINTS
- This game will be broadcast live on ESPN3 as part of the MAAC's National Game of the Week platform.
- Iona starts this contest in a three-way tie atop the MAAC standings with Loyola (Md.) and Manhattan. All three teams are 9-2 in league play, as of Feb. 1.
- As a team, Canisius is shooting a MAAC-best 73.0 percent from the free-throw line, which ranks 50th in the nation.
- Canisius started four guards in each of its last two games, with freshman Franklin Milian making two-straight starts for the Blue and Gold.
- Milian is averaging 5.7 points and 5.0 rebounds per game in the team's last three contests.
- Junior Harold Washington comes into this game ranked fourth in the MAAC and 90th in the nation in scoring average with 16.8 points per game.
- Washington was good for 22 points when these two teams met in Buffalo Dec. 2.
- Junior guard Alshwan Hymes moved into the top-five on Canisius' career 3-point field goals made list with his two treys against Loyola Jan. 29. He starts tonight's game with 148 career 3-point field goals in 75 career games.
- Junior guard Gaby Belardo is averaging 14.3 points, 3.6 assists and 2.1 steals per game since rejoining the starting lineup Jan. 5, at Saint Peter's.
- Sophomore forward Chris Manhertz ranks third in the MAAC and 69th in the nation in rebounding average with 8.3 boards per game. He also ranks second in the MAAC with 3.9 offensive rebounds per game.
ABOUT THE GAELS
- Iona comes into tonight's contest with a 17-5 overall record and a 9-2 mark in MAAC play.
- The Gaels have won two straight after taking down Fairfield and Saint Peter's on the road last weekend.
- Senior forward Mike Glover leads the team and leads the MAAC with his 18.8 points per game. He also leads the squad in rebounds per game with 9.0, which ranks second in the conference.
- Senior guard Scott Machado is averaging 13.4 points per game and leads the nation with 9.9 assists per game. As a team, Iona leads the country with 19.2 assists per contest.
- The Gaels are scoring an average of 82.2 points per game this season, which ranks sixth in the country. The Griffs are one of four teams this season to hold Iona under 70 points in a game, as Iona defeated Canisius 69-57 back on Dec. 2, in Buffalo.
- Iona also ranks sixth in the nation in field goal percentage, with the team shooting 49.6 percent (675-for-1361) from the floor for the year.
CANISIUS - IONA SERIES
- This will be the 58th all-time meeting between these two schools in a series that started Feb. 19, 1955 in The Aud in Buffalo.
- Iona holds a 30-27 lead in the series, with the Gaels taking three of the last four games and seven of the last 10 overall.
- The Griffs are 6-18 all-time in the Hynes Athletic Center, with the team's last win on the road in the series coming Jan. 29, 2007 - head coach Tom Parrotta's first season as Canisius' head coach.