Dates: February 24-25, 2012
Times: 7:05 p.m./7:05 p.m.
Locations: Buffalo, N.Y./Erie, Pa.
Rinks: Buffalo State Sports Arena/Mercyhurst Ice Center
The Canisius College hockey team concludes the regular season with a pair of games against long-time rival Mercyhurst. The teams meet in Buffalo on Friday and in Erie on Saturday, both starting at 7:05 p.m.
ATLANTIC HOCKEY TOURNAMENT INFORMATION
• With just two regular-season games remaining, Canisius has learned that Connecticut will be its first-round opponent for the 2012 Atlantic Hockey Tournament.
• The Griffs will host the Huskies if Canisius sweeps Mercyhurst this weekend and AIC takes all four points against Connecticut.
• Any other combination of results and Canisius will play at the Huskies.
• Connecticut won both meetings against the Griffs this season, earning 6-2 and 4-3 wins in Buffalo in January.
SENIOR NIGHT CELEBRATION
• Following Friday's contest against the Lakers, the Griffs will honor seniors Dan Morrison and Scott Moser, who are appearing in their final home game with the program.
• Morrison has played 93 games in goal for the Griffs, earning 32 wins with a .907 save percentage and 3.21 goals against average.
• Also, Morrison's 2,760 career saves are just 11 shy of the school record.
• Moser, the team's captain this season, has appeared in 130 career games with 59 points, 23 goals and 36 assists.
MORRISON 11 SAVES FROM SCHOOL'S SAVES RECORD
• Dan Morrison is getting close to making his mark on the program's record book.
• Morrison has totaled 2,760 saves during his career and is approaching the school record.
• The senior is now just 11 saves shy of the mark set by Bryan Worosz from 2001 to 2005 (2,771 saves).
• Morrison owns a 2.87 goals against average and .913 save percentage with 454 saves in 16 starts this season.
FRESHMEN STEPPING UP THEIR GAME
• The Canisius freshman class has shown a lot of improvement as the group gains more experience during their rookie season.
• In the first half of the season, the 12-man class averaged just 1.11 points per game and accounted for 20 percent of the team's scoring.
• Since the turn of the calendar year, the rookies have averaged 2.79 points per game and have accounted for 43 percent of the scoring.
• The class has totaled 39 points, 12 goals and 27 assists in 14 games since the beginning of January and 59 points overall (19g, 40a).
• In Canisius' series against Niagara during the past week, the rookie class accounted for all three goals and four of the team's five assists.
• With the help of the rookies' increased output, Canisius went from averaging 1.67 goals the first half of the season to 2.21 goals since the start of 2012, an increase of 0.54 goals per game.
CANISIUS - MERCYHURST SERIES HISTORY
• The Griffs' most frequented opponent in school history, Mercyhurst holds a 36-23-9 advantage in 68 all-time meetings, including a 23-16-8 edge in Division I meetings.
• Canisius has enjoyed more success against the Lakers as of late, owning a 7-3-0 advantage in the schools' 10 meetings during the last three seasons.
• The Griffs won five-straight meetings in the series for the first time from Feb. 13, 2010 to Feb. 25, 2011, including four wins at the Mercyhurst Ice Center.
• The Lakers took two points from the only matchup this season, scoring two late power-play goals in a 6-4 victory on Dec. 9 in Buffalo.
ABOUT THE LAKERS
• Mercyhurst is tied for third place in the Atlantic Hockey standings with 32 points. The Lakers are just two points behind first, one point behind second and one point ahead of sixth.
• The Lakers are 14-7-4 against league foes and 17-13-4 overall.
• Freshman Daniel Bahntge leads the team with 29 points this season (8g, 21a).
• Three different Lakers have netted at least 10 goals, led by junior Paul Chiasson's 13 tallies.
• Max Strang has seen a majority of time in goal for the Lakers, posting a 2.90 goals against average and .921 save percentage.