Game No. 2
Presented by Wendy's and Buffalo.com
Canisius (1-0) vs. St. Bonaventure (2-0)
Date: Saturday, Nov. 17, 2012
Time: 4 p.m.
Place: Koessler Athletic Center (2,196) - Buffalo, N.Y.
Video: MAAC.TV/GoGriffs.com (pay-per-view)
Radio: AM-1400 (Buffalo)
Free Online Audio: GoGriffs.com
Talent: Jay Moran (p-x-p), Dave Schofield (color) Kyle Ferrera (sideline)
Twitter: @GoGriffs (athletic department) or @Griffs_MBB (men's basketball)
Hashtags: #Griffs #maachoops
CANISIUS PLAYS HOST TO LONG-TIME RIVAL ST. BONAVENTURE
- The Canisius College Golden Griffins return to the court Saturday afternoon when the team hosts long-time rival St. Bonaventure in the Koessler Athletic Center.
- The Griffs opened the 109th season in school history with an 83-75 win over Boston University on Monday night at home.
- The 83 points scored by Canisius in the season-opener are the most for the program since the 1993-94 opener, when the team lost to St. Bonaventure on the road by a score of 86-83.
FAST BREAK POINTS
- Canisius' victory on Monday moved the team to 75-32 all-time in season-opening contests. (no records for the 1913-14 and 1918-19 seasons).
- Since 1940, Canisius is 51-21 in home openers and 12-9 when the home opener is played in the Koessler Athletic Center.
- This afternoon's game marks the second of Canisius' three-straight home games in the Koessler Athletic Center to start the season. This is the first time in school history the Griffs have opened the year with three-straight contests in the Koessler Athletic Center.
- As a team, Canisius shot 53.6 percent from the field and 52.9 percent from 3-point land in Monday's win over Boston University. Last season, Canisius shot better than 50 percent from the field in five games and hit more than 50 percent of its shots from behind the arc only once.
- Senior Harold Washington, who was named to the Preseason All-Big 4 First Team and Preseason All-MAAC Second Team, picked up where he left off last season by scoring a game-high 22 points in the win over Boston University. It was his 10th career 20-point game as a Griff.
- Junior guard Billy Baron scored 21 points and dished out a career-high eight assists in Monday night's season-opening victory. The 21 points are the most for a Canisius player in his first game as a Golden Griffin since former Griff Larry Fogle scored 35 points in the 1973-74 opener against Gannon.
ABOUT THE BONNIES
- St. Bonaventure is coming off a 72-68 win at Cornell on Wednesday. The Bonnies are 2-0 for the first time since 2008-09 and for just the second time since 2003-04.
- The defending Atlantic 10 champions are coming off a 20-12 record in 2011-12, which ended with a loss to Florida State in the second round of the 2012 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament.
- St. Bonaventure is led by head coach Mark Schmidt, who is in his sixth year at the helm of the Bonnies program. In his 11-year head coaching career, Schmidt is 4-2 against Canisius.
- Senior Chris Johnson leads St. Bonaventure in scoring average with 14 points per game. He matched a career-high with 19 in the team's win at Cornell Wednesday night.
- Fellow senior Demitrius Conger is pulling down 6.5 boards per game, with 10 of those rebounds coming off the defensive glass.
- After today's game, the Bonnies will have a week off before playing Niagara on Nov. 24 in Rochester, N.Y., at the Blue Cross Arena.
CANISIUS - ST. BONAVENTURE SERIES
- Today's game between Canisius and St. Bonaventure marks the 161st all-time clash between these two long-time Western New York rivals.
- St. Bonaventure holds a 97-63 lead in the all-time series, but the series has been more even in the last 10 contests, with each school winning five times.
- This game will be just the fifth meeting between these two schools in the Koessler Athletic Center since the building opened in 1968. Each team has won twice in the KAC, with the Golden Griffins winning each of the last two match-ups on their campus (2006 and 2010).
- This game will mark the 101st time in series history where Canisius is the home team. In the previous 100 Canisius home dates, the series is tied at 50-50.
- Canisius has played more games against St. Bonaventure (160) than any other non-conference opponent.
- This is the 90th season these two schools have met on the hardwood. In terms of years, this is Canisius' longest running rivalry.
SATURDAY IS A SELLOUT
- For the 12th time since the Koessler Athletic Center was renovated before the 2002-03 season, the building will be sold out for a basketball game when the Golden Griffins host St. Bonaventure this afternoon.
- The first sellout of 2,176 in the renovated building came Dec. 19, 2003 when the Bonnies and Griffs battled in St. Bonaventure's second visit to Canisius' on-campus facility. Since that time, Canisius has added 20 courtside seats, pushing the seat capacity to 2,196.
- This will be the third time a Canisius-St. Bonaventure contest has sold out the KAC, as the team's played in front of a sellout crowd in both 2003 and 2010.