Game No. 7
Canisius (5-1, 1-0 MAAC) at Marist (3-5, 1-0 MAAC)
Date: Sunday, Dec. 9, 2012
Time: 2 p.m.
Place: McCann Arena (3,200) - Poughkeepsie, N.Y.
Radio: AM-1400 (Buffalo)
Free Online Audio: GoGriffs.com
Talent: Jay Moran (p-x-p), Dave Schofield (color)
Twitter: @GoGriffs (athletic department) or @Griffs_MBB (men's basketball)
Hashtags: #Griffs #maachoops
CANISIUS SET TO SQUARE OFF WITH MARIST ON THE ROAD
- The Canisius College men's basketball team will close out its first weekend of MAAC play this afternoon when the team travels to Marist.
- The Golden Griffins are 5-1 overall and 1-0 in MAAC play after the squad defeated Fairfield on the road by a score of 67-55 Friday night.
- Friday's win not only snapped the team's 12-game conference losing streak, but it also ended the Canisius' nine-game losing streak to Fairfield, which dated back to 2008.
FAST BREAK POINTS
- Canisius is 5-1 for the first time since 1974-75 and the team won its first conference game of the season for the first time since the 2009-10 campaign.
- With road victories over UMBC and Fairfield, the Golden Griffins have won back-to-back road games for the first time since Nov. 21 and 24, 2009 when the team beat Buffalo and St. Francis (NY) away from home.
- The Griffs also ended their losing streak in MAAC road dates, which stood at 11, with the last league road win prior to Friday coming Feb. 11, 2011, at Rider.
- The 55 points allowed by Canisius in the team's win over Fairfield on Friday night stand as the fewest points given up by the Blue and Gold since Feb. 6, 2011 when the Griffs beat Saint Peter's at home by the score of 59-45.
- Junior guard Billy Baron leads the team and ranks fourth in the MAAC with his 18.0 points per game. He's scored in double figures in all six of the team's games this year.
- Baron is shooting 91.7 percent (33-for-36) from the free-throw line this year, which leads the team and the MAAC. He's hit 19 of his last 20 free-throws dating back to Nov. 24, at Stony Brook.
- Senior guard Harold Washington comes into today's game averaging 17.5 points per game this season, which ranks second on the team and sixth in the conference.
- Junior center Jordan Heath had 10 points and a career-high four blocked shots on Friday. He's scored 10 or more points in four-straight games.
ABOUT THE RED FOXES
- Marist comes into this afternoon's game with a 3-5 overall record and a 1-0 mark in MAAC play after the team beat Manhattan 62-58 on Friday.
- The Red Foxes are averaging 55.1 points per game as a team, which ranks last in the league and 340th (out of 345 teams) at the Division I level.
- Marist went 1-2 in the Disney Old Spice Classic during the Thanksgiving holiday, with the victory coming over Vanderbilt by a score of 50-33.
- Senior guard Devin Price leads the Marist offense with his 13.5 points per game scoring average, which ranks 12th in the league.
- Junior forward Adam Kemp leads the team and ranks second in the league with his 7.4 rebounds per game. He's also chipping in 6.8 points per contest.
- Sophomore guard Chavaughn Lewis is scoring 9.3 points per game, while fellow sophomore Isaiah Lewis is good for 8.3 points and 3.8 assists per game.
CANISIUS - MARIST SERIES
- This will be the 36th all-time meeting between Canisius and Marist, with the Golden Griffins holding a 20-15 advantage in the series.
- The Griffs have won seven of the last 10 games between these two programs, dating back to 2008-09, but the Red Foxes have won two-straight home games after beating the Blue and Gold in the McCann Arena Feb. 4, 2012 by a score of 80-69.
- Marist's win at home last season gave the Red Foxes an 8-7 advantage in the series in games played in Poughkeepsie, N.Y.
- These two schools did not play until Marist joined the MAAC prior to the 1997-98 season.