Dates: Jan. 5-6, 2012
Time: 12:05 p.m.
Location: Buffalo, N.Y.
Rink: Buffalo State Sports Arena
The Canisius College hockey team wraps up non-conference play this weekend with a pair of games against Bowling Green of the CCHA. The Griffs welcome the Falcons to Buffalo on Saturday and Sunday with game times set for 12:05 p.m.
SCOUTING THE GRIFFS
• Canisius is 6-8-4 this season with a 5-4-2 mark in Atlantic Hockey.
• The Griffs split a pair of games last weekend against Army, cruising to a 5-1 win on Saturday before falling in overtime on Sunday, 1-0.
• Senior captain Preston Shupe matched career highs with three points and two goals in Saturday's win and now leads the team with 11 points and six goals this year.
• Junior Tony Capobianco has anchored the nation's fourth-ranked defense with a 1.79 goals against average and .941 save percentage.
ONE IS THE LONELIEST NUMBER
• The Griffs defense has keyed in on the number one this season and has successfully kept their opponent from topping the mark recently.
• Canisius has allowed one or fewer goals in six of its last seven contests.
• Overall, the Griffs have not surrendered more than a tally in half of their games this year (9-of-18).
DEFENSE AMONG THE NATION'S BEST
• The defense continues to lead the Griffs during the 2012-13 season.
• Canisius has allowed only 32 goals in 18 games this season. The Griffs currently rank fourth nationally and first in Atlantic Hockey with a scoring defense of 1.78 goals per game.
A TOP 10 GOALIE IN CAPOBIANCO
• Junior Tony Capobianco has led the way for the Griffs on the defensive end and now places among the nation's best.
• Capobianco currently ranks eighth nationally with his .941 save percentage and 10th with his 1.79 goals against average.
• In addition, both figures are easily the best in school history. Sean Weaver currently holds both records with a .927 save percentage and 2.37 goals against average, set during the 1999-00 season.
SO CLOSE BUT YET SO FAR
• The Griffs have had some bad luck this season, most notably in close games during the year.
• Canisius has lost all five one-goal games it has played this year, including a 0-2-4 mark in overtime. The Griffs are 6-3-0 in games decided by two or more goals.
• Canisius has already lost two overtime games for the first time since the 2008-09 campaign and have not lost three games in an extra session since the 2000-01 season.
CANISIUS - BOWLING GREEN SERIES HISTORY
• The schools met for the first time on the ice last season at Bowling Green. The teams are meeting for the first time in Buffalo.
• The Falcons earned 4-1 and 3-1 victories in a weekend sweep, outshooting the Griffs, 66-20, in the two games.
GRIFFS AGAINST THE CCHA
• Canisius owns a 4-19-4 all-time record against CCHA schools since moving to the Division I level.
• The Griffs are 1-2-0 against the conference this season, posting a 3-1 win against Alaska in Anchorage, while falling 3-0 and 2-1 at No. 12 Western Michigan.
• Overall, Canisius has posted a win against the CCHA in four of the last five seasons.
ABOUT THE FALCONS
• Bowling Green is 4-10-4 on the season and 2-7-3 against CCHA foes.
• The Falcons returned to play after a two-week layoff with a 3-0 victory against nationally-ranked and Atlantic Hockey foe Niagara, 3-0, on Dec. 29.
• Bowling Green's top five scorers are all sophomores this season and the team is led by Ryan Carpenter and Dan DeSalvo with 11 points. Carpenter has netted a team-best five goals to go along with six assists, while DeSalvo leads the squad with 10 assists.
• Andrew Hammond has started 13-of-18 games in net for the Falcons, posting a 2.93 goals against average and .911 save percentage.