Game No. 19
Canisius (11-7, 4-3 MAAC) vs. Siena (4-14, 2-5 MAAC)
Hall of Fame Day, presented by The Buffalo News and Subway
Date: Saturday, Jan. 19, 2013
Time: 2 p.m.
Place: Koessler Athletic Center (2,196) - Buffalo, N.Y.
Video: GoGriffs.com and MAAC.tv
Radio: AM-1400 (Buffalo)
Free Online Audio: GoGriffs.com
Talent: Jay Moran (p-x-p) and Dave Schofield (color)
Twitter: @GoGriffs (athletic department) or @Griffs_MBB (men's basketball)
Hashtags: #Griffs #maachoops
CANISIUS HOSTS SIENA ON HALL OF FAME DAY
- The Canisius College men's basketball team closes out its weekend this afternoon when the Golden Griffins play host to Siena.
- The Griffs are 11-7 overall and 4-3 in MAAC play after beating Manhattan 64-60 on Thursday night in the Koessler Athletic Center.
- The win on Thursday over Manhattan was the 400th career win for Canisius head coach Jim Baron, who is in his first season at the helm of the Griff program.
FAST BREAK POINTS
- At halftime today, Canisius will officially induct its 50th class into the College's Sports Hall of Fame. One of the six inductees in the Class of 2012 is former men's basketball player Darren Fenn, who wore the Blue and Gold from 1997-2001.
- The Griffs are 7-1 at home this season, the team's best record through eight home dates since the 1995-96 team opened the home slate with a 7-1 record as well.
- As a team, Canisius comes into this afternoon's game averaging 9.3 3-point field goals per game, which ranks second in the MAAC and fifth in the nation.
- The Griffs have 167 made 3-pointers this year after the Blue and Gold had eight makes from long range on Thursday in the win over Manhattan. Last season, the Griffs hit 191 3-pointers as a team through 30 games.
- Senior guard Isaac Sosa scored a season-high 25 points in the win over Manhattan Thursday night on the power of five 3-point field goals. Sosa has three or more makes from 3-point land in 11 of the team's last 12 games.
- Senior Harold Washington scored 12 points in the win on Thursday and he comes into today's game averaging 16.7 points per game in the team's last three contests.
- Junior Jordan Heath scored nine points and pulled down a career-high eight rebounds in the win over Manhattan on Thursday. He ranks third in the league in field goal percentage at 52.6 percent
ABOUT THE SAINTS
- Siena enters today's game with a 4-14 overall record and a 2-5 mark in MAAC games after the team lost at Niagara 87-64 Thursday night.
- The Saints are 2-1 in their last three games, having posted wins over Canisius and Saint Peter's last weekend before falling to Niagara Thursday.
- Senior forward O.D. Anosike leads the nation in double-doubles, and he comes into tonight's game averaging 13.3 points and a MAAC-best 11.8 rebounds per game.
- Junior guard Rakeem Brookins, who made the game-winning 3-pointer at the buzzer last week in Albany to lift Siena over Canisius, is averaging 12.3 points per game, which ranks third on the team.
- Sophomore guard Evan Hymes is chipping in 11.0 points and 3.5 assists and leads the Saints with his 34 makes from 3-point land this season.
CANISIUS - SIENA SERIES
- This afternoon marks the 89th all-time meeting between these two schools, with Siena holding a 51-37 lead in the series.
- The Griffs snapped a 10-game losing streak to Siena with a 62-61 home win on Jan. 7, 2011. Since then, Siena has taken four straight from the Blue and Gold, including the Jan. 11 win in Albany.
- The Saints start today's game having won 13 of the last 14 meetings between these two schools, with the Griffs' lone win since 2006 coming at home in that game on Jan. 7, 2011.
HALL OF FAME DAY NEWS AND NOTES
- Today is Canisius' annual Sports Hall of Fame Day and at halftime, the athletic department will induct the Hall's 50th class.
- Since the Canisius athletic department moves the Sports Hall of Fame ceremonies to the winter season before the 2003-04 season, Canisius is 5-4 all-time on Hall of Fame Day.
- One of the six honorees
here today is former men's basketball player Darren Fenn, who scored 1,414 career points to go with 852 career rebounds in
his career from 1997-01.
- Fenn will not be in attendance today, as he is currently playing professionally overseas in Japan.