Canisius (11-6) at Ohio (13-10)
Date: Saturday, March 23, 2013
Time: Game One starts at 1 p.m.
Place: Ohio Softball Field – Athens, Ohio
Live Stats: Through OhioBobcats.com
Twitter: @GoGriffs (athletic department) or @Griffssoftball (softball)
Hashtags: #Griffs #MAACSoftball
SOFTBALL TRAVELS TO PLAY TWO AT OHIO
- The Canisius College softball team returns to action March 23, when the team plays a non-conference doubleheader at Ohio University in Athens, Ohio.
- The Golden Griffins are 11-6 overall after going 3-2 last week at the George Mason Cherry Blossom Classic in Fairfax, Va. Canisius’ 11 wins are the most for any team in the MAAC and the Griffs are the only MAAC team with a winning record this season (as of March 22).
- Ohio is 13-10 on the year and the Bobcats are 0-2 at home after dropping a pair of games to Dayton last weekend.
- Canisius starts this weekend trip to Ohio with 105 runs scored this season, which ranks the team 28th in the nation in runs per game average.Last season, it took the Griffs 29 games to score 105 runs as a team.
- The Griffs boast a team batting average of .308 this year with four regular batters hitting better than .300 through 17 games.
- As a team, Canisius ranks 42nd in the nation in team batting average and the Blue and Gold leads the nation in triples per game with 0.59 three-base hits per contest.
- Freshman Meghan Cuda leads the country in triples per game average with 0.24 triples per game. Through her first 63 at-bats, Cuda has four triples among her 21 hits this year.
- Sophomore Michelle DelPrince ranks 12th in the nation with 0.18 triples per game this season. As a team, 10 of the team’s 25 extra-base hits this year have been triples.
- Canisius is 20-for-22 in stolen base chances this year, with Cuda leading the way with her seven stolen bases on eight tries.
- Senior Stephanie Pfentner is hitting a team-best .429 (18-for-42) with five doubles, four RBIs and 11 runs scored. DelPrince ranks second on the team with her .364 (20-for-55 batting average), and she’s scored a team-high 16 runs this year.
- Sophomore Robin Kennery is tied for the team lead with 15 RBIs this season. Freshman Tori Nappo has 15 runs knocked in as well.
- Kennery hit her first collegiate home run March 17, in the team’s win over George Mason. Kennery joined with Erica Afanador and Marissa Miller as the only three players on this year’s team to hit a homer in a game during the 2013 campaign.
- Junior hurler Jen Consaul leads the team and the MAAC with her seven wins in the circle this season. She starts this weekend with a 7-3 record with a save and a 2.33 ERA.
- Consaul also leads the MAAC with her 46 strikeouts through 69 innings of work. Senior pitcher Amanda Baun has 23 strikeouts in 30 innings. Baun missed last weekend’s action due to injury.
- Canisius head coach Mike Rappl became the fourth Division I softball coach this season to record career win No. 800 March 15, when the Blue and Gold defeated George Mason 6-3. His 801 career wins are the most for any coach in any sport in MAAC history.
ABOUT THE BOBCATS
- Ohio University comes into this weekend’s twinbill with a 13-10 overall record. The Bobcats have dropped five straight after losing twice to Eastern Kentucky March 19.
- Last season, Ohio went 28-29 overall and 14-8 in Mid-American Conference play. The team lost to Kent State in the first elimination game of the 2012 MAC Softball Tournament.
- Senior Laura Gellerman leads the Ohio offense with her .400 batting average. She has eight homers and 33 RBIs this season through 23 games.
- Gellerman ranks second in the nation in RBIs per game and her 0.38 home runs per game ranks 25th in the country.
- Fellow senior Caitlin Colvin is hit .300 this season and she leads the squad with 11 homers. She ranks second in the nation in home runs per game average this year.
- Freshman pitcher Savannah Jo Dorsey leads the Ohio staff with her six wins in the circle this year. She has also fanned 77 batters through her first 60.2 innings of work.
- As a team, Ohio’s earned run average is 5.01 and teams are hitting .259 for the year against the Bobcats’ staff.
CANISIUS - OHIO SERIES
- Canisius and Ohio have played one time previously in softball.
- The Bobcats won that game 6-0 on March 26, 2011 when the teams played a regular-season game on a neutral field in Fullerton, Calif.