Canisius (16-13, 1-1 MAAC) vs. Marist (13-15, 2-0 MAAC)
Date: Saturday, April 13, 2013
Time: Game One starts at 12 p.m.
Place: Demske Sports Complex – Buffalo, N.Y.
Live Stats: Through GoGriffs.com
Twitter: @GoGriffs (athletic department) or @Griffssoftball (softball)
Hashtags: #Griffs #MAACSoftball
SOFTBALL MEETS MARIST AT HOME SATURDAY
- The Canisius College softball team will host MAAC rival Marist on Saturday, April 13, in the Golden Griffins’ first home conference doubleheader of the 2013 campaign.
- The Golden Griffins are 16-13 overall and 1-1 in MAAC play after sweeping a non-league doubleheader from St. Bonaventure at home April 10.
- The Griffs’ win over the Bonnies in game one of the twinbill April 10 improved the Blue and Gold to 22-2 all-time in the first game of the season played at the Demske Sports Complex.
- Dating back to 2006, Canisius is 40-14 in its last 54 home contests at the Demske, a win percentage of 74.1 percent.
- Since 2009, Canisius is 8-0 in its first MAAC home series of the season.
- The Griffs are hitting .304 as a team, which leads the MAAC.
- Canisius has five players hitting .300 or better (among batters with two plate appearances per game), led by senior Stephanie Pfentner, who is hitting .355 entering this weekend’s games.
- In the team’s 16 wins this season, Pfentner is hitting .477 (21-for-44) with 15 runs scored.
- Freshman Megan Cuda, comes into the weekend set against Marist riding a nine-game hitting streak. That is the longest hitting streak for any Canisius player this season.
- As a team, Canisius has hit 46 doubles and 13 triples this year. Last season, the Griffs posted a total of 44 doubles and nine triples in 50 games.
- Sophomore Robin Kennery leads the team with her 25 RBIs this year. Of her 25 runs batted in, 22 of those have come in games that Canisius has won.
- Junior pitcher Jen Consaul picked up her posted her 11th win of the season April 10, in the team’s 7-4 win over St. Bonaventure in game one. She leads the team’s pitching staff in wins, appearances (23), games started (15), complete-games (12), shutouts (two), innings pitched (107.1) and strikeouts (76).
- Freshman Jenn Solis earned her first collegiate victory April 10, at home as the Griffs defeated St. Bonaventure 4-2.
- Senior hurler Amanda Baun earned her first save of the season and picked up the third save of her career in the team’s 4-2 win over the Bonnies April 10.
- The Red Foxes are 13-15 overall and 2-0 in MAAC play. Marist has won four in a row, including a doubleheader sweep of Fairfield last weekend.
- Junior Alyssa Zahka is Marist’s top hitter with her .368 batting average. She has also driven in a team-high 23 RBIs.
- Freshman Nicole Cheek has scored a team-high 22 runs this season and she leads the squad with seven home runs. She has also driven in 21 RBIs to go with her .352 batting average.
- Senior Emily Osterhaus led the Marist pitching staff with her five wins this season. She has seven complete-games and 31 strikeouts on the year.
CANISIUS – MARIST SERIES
- These two schools have played 36 times previously, with Canisius holding a 25-11 advantage in the series.
- The Griffs and Red Foxes have split the previous five MAAC doubleheaders, with each team posting a win at Marist’s Gartland Field April 27, 2012.