Games No. 43-45
Canisius College (32-12, 9-6 MAAC) at Siena College (20-24, 10-5 MAAC)
Saturday, May 4 (DH) and Sunday, May 5 — Noon
Siena Field (Loudonville, N.Y.)
RHP Garrett Cortright (8-2, 1.94 ERA) vs. RHP Ed Lewicki (3-2, 2.83 ERA)
LHP Alex Godzak (6-2, 2.50 ERA) vs. RHP Justin Brantley (4-4, 7.01 ERA)
RHP Devon Stewart (3-4, 4.97 ERA) vs. LHP Matt Gage (4-5, 3.70 ERA)
- The Canisius College baseball team plays its final MAAC road series of the 2013 season, traveling to Siena College for a three-game series this weekend.
- Canisius enters the weekend with a 9-6 record in conference play, sitting alone in fourth place in the MAAC standings.
- Canisius is 22-8 in road games this season after the three-game sweep The Griffs enter the weekend first in the country at the Division I level with the 22 road wins.
- Canisius set a program record with an 11-game winning streak, ranging from April 10 to April 27. The Griffs saw that winning streak come to an end in an 11-6 loss to Marist in 10 innings on Sunday.
- Since starting the season 4-4, Canisius is 28-8 in its last 36 games.
- Freshman Alex Godzak was named the MAAC Rookie of the Week on Monday, winning the award for the second time this season.
- Canisius has now had eight players win 10 weekly conference awards. The eight players and 10 awards are more than any other school in the MAAC.
- Canisius leads the MAAC in nine offensive categories, including by 19 points in batting average and by one in runs per contest.
- The Canisius pitching staff leads the MAAC in strikeouts per nine innings (6.7) and in fewest walks per nine innings (2.93).
- The Griffs also lead the MAAC in fielding percentage (.968).
- Canisius is 33-12 in MAAC series during the past six seasons, including 14 three-game sweeps and one two-game sweep.
- Canisius has had four winning streak of five games or longer this season. The Griffs have had 15 winning streaks of five or more games since 2008, the highest total in the conference.
- Three Canisius pitchers combined to throw the program’s first nine-inning no-hitter at the Division I level in an 8-0 win at Iona on March 29.
- Canisius has 13 Canadians on its roster, the most at the NCAA Division I level.
SERIES HISTORY VS. SIENA
- Siena leads the all-time series 69-41 between the teams. The Saints are the second-most common opponent in program history, trailing only local rival Niagara.
- The Griffs won two of three games between the teams last season at the Demske Sports Complex. Canisius has won the series in three of the last four years, but the Saints took two of three between the teams in Loudonville in 2011.
- Siena has defeated Canisius in the MAAC Championship in elimination games in 2011 and 2008.
- Siena enters the weekend with a 20-24 overall record and 10-5 record in the MAAC. The Saints started the year 8-21 but have won 12 of their last 15 games to sit in a tie for second place in the conference standings.
- Mike Fish leads the team with a .358 batting average to go along with a team-high eight home runs and 38 RBI. Vincent Citro and Fish have combined for 22 stolen bases. Siena leads the MAAC and ranks 85th in the country with 21 homers.
- Siena is hitting .262 as a team while averaging 5.4 runs per game, has a 4.86 team ERA and has a .963 team fielding percentage. In MAAC play, Siena has a 3.59 team ERA.
- Matt Gage is 4-5 with a 3.70 ERA, recording 61 strikeouts in 73 innings. Neil Fryer has eight saves in 19 appearances.