CANISIUS WINS MAAC CHAMPIONSHIP
• The Griffs earned their spot in the NCAA Tournament by winning the 2013 MAAC Championship this past weekend.
• Canisius posted victories over Siena, 14-7, and Marist, 10-9, en route to the title.
• Junior Maria Kotas earned MAAC Tournament MVP honors, recording four goals and six draw controls in the second half of the title game as Canisius rallied for a 10-9 victory.
• Kotas was joined on the All-Tournament Team by senior Morgan Leonard, sophomore Meghan Cuddy and freshmen Ashley Bull and Brenna Murray.
THREE TIMES AS NICE
• Winning MAAC Championships is becoming a habit for the Griffs.
• Canisius has now won the last three MAAC titles and is the first school in conference history to win three-straight MAAC Women’s Lacrosse Championships.
• The Griffs are one of four schools in the country to have won its conference title in each of the least three seasons – Massachusetts (Atlantic 10), Maryland (ACC) and Navy (Patriot).
NCAA TOURNAMENT HISTORY
• Canisius is making its third-straight appearance in the NCAA Tournament.
• In each of the last two seasons, the Griffs lost at Massachusetts in a play-in round.
• Canisius fell to the Minutewomen in 2011, 16-8, and lost a heartbreaker in 2012. Massachusetts scored a free-position goal with just four seconds left to earn the 13-12 victory.
LEONARD AND QUINN EARN REGIONAL ALL-AMERICA HONORS
• For the first time in the program’s history, the Griffs had two student-athletes earn IWLCA Regional All-America honors.
• Senior midfielder Morgan Leonard and sophomore attacker Tori Quinn were both named to the All-West/Midwest Region Second Team on Tuesday.
• The duo are the third and fourth Griffs to earn all-region honors, joining (current Canisius assistant coach) Allison Daley in 2011 and Megan Oosting in 2012.
CANISIUS - PENN STATE SERIES HISTORY
• The Griffs and Nittany Lions are meeting for the first time in women’s lacrosse.
• Overall, Canisius is 0-8 all-time against schools in the ALC (0-5 vs. Ohio State, 0-2 vs. Vanderbilt and 0-1 vs. Ohio University).
CANISIUS - MASSACHUSETTS SERIES HISTORY
• The Griffs and Minutewomen have met in each of the last two NCAA Tournaments in the play-in round.
• Massachusetts won both meetings at home, taking the 2011 contest, 16-11, and scoring with four seconds remaining last year for a 13-12 victory.
CANISIUS - CONNECTICUT SERIES HISTORY
• The Griffs and Huskies have met on three prior occasions with the home team taking each contest.
• Connecticut defeated Canisius, 20-5, in the Griffs’ inaugural season of 1998 before the schools split a series in 2010 and 2011.
• The Griffs won the last meeting between the teams, taking an 18-13 contest in 2011.