The Canisius College men’s soccer team puts its unbeaten MAAC record on the line when it travels to face Fairfield on Saturday. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.
STRONG START TO MAAC SEASON
• The Griffs enter the weekend with a 1-0-1 mark in conference play.
• Canisius is unbeaten in its first two conference games for the second time in three seasons under head coach Dermot McGrane.
• In it’s most recent contest, Canisius scored four goals in a conference matchup for the first time since 2010.
FIRST IS THE WORST, SECOND IS THE BEST…
• The Griffs have found much more success after the halftime break in games this season.
• Of the team’s 16 goals in 2013, 13 have been scored after the intermission with only three first-half tallies this season.
• The Griffs are being outscored, 8-3, in the opening stanza of games but are outscoring opponents, 11-8, in the second half and 2-0 in overtime.
• In addition, in the eight Canisius contests that have featured at least one goal this season, the Griffs have allowed the first goal of the game in seven. The good news is the ability to put together a strong second half has still equated to a 5-3-2 overall record.
• In the win over Marist, the Griffs netted four second-half tallies. It marked the most goals for Canisius in a single half of play since also scoring four against Iona in 1999.
• Canisius is ranked ninth in the latest NSCAA North Atlantic poll.
CANISIUS – FAIRFIELD SERIES HISTORY
• The Stags own a 19-2-4 edge in the all-time series against the Griffs.
• Fairfield has especially dominated the series at home, winning all 11 meetings.
• The Griffs nearly won for the first time in Fairfield in their last visit in 2011 but an 88th-minute goal for the Stags tied the game and another tally in the 109th minute led to a 2-1 Fairfield victory.
• The Stags rallied for another 2-1 win last season in Buffalo, scoring in the 66th and 82nd minutes for the victory.
ABOUT THE STAGS
• Fairfield enters the weekend with a 3-3-2 record and is 0-1-1 in MAAC play.
• The Stags lost at Manhattan on Wednesday, 5-2.
• Jon Clements leads Fairfield with eight points and four goals this season. Reco McLaren is tied for the team lead with eight points on three goals and a team-best two assists.
• Joe Martin has played every minute in goal with a 1.78 goals against average and .651 save percentage.
Menís Soccer Plays at Fairfield in MAAC Action
Courtesy: Canisius College Athletics