Canisius at Niagara
Saturday, Oct. 19 — 1 p.m.
Gallagher Center (Lewiston, N.Y.)
NOTING THE GRIFFS
- Canisius concludes its three-match road swing with Saturday's rivalry matchup at Niagara. The teams are meeting for the second time this season.
- Canisius defeated Niagara in three sets on Oct. 2, in the Koessler Athletic Center. Senior Emily Elek led the Griffs with 13 kills and eight blocks.
- The Griffs have dropped their last four matches against Niagara in the Gallagher Center. Canisius last won at Niagara on Oct. 22, 2008, a five-set win over the Purple Eagles.
- Canisius leads the MAAC at 2.29 blocks per set.
- Senior Roxanne Hernandez is second in the MAAC in blocks per set (1.15) while Elek is eighth in the conference (0.84).
- Sophomore Lauren Siebert ranks seventh in the MAAC in attack percentage (.251).
- Junior Emily Litwin is second in the MAAC in digs per set (4.66).
BATTLE OF THE BRIDGE
- Saturday is the second of two regular-season meetings between Canisius and Niagara. Each matchup is worth one point in the all-sports Battle of the Bridge competition between the schools.
- Canisius won the Canal Cup last year for the third consecutive athletic season and for the fifth time in six years.
- The Battle of the Bridge is an all-sports competition between the schools. Points are awarded for all regular-season, conference match-ups between the schools, except for cross country, swimming and diving and golf where the points are awarded based on results in the MAAC Championship.
- After an 18.5-14.5 victory last year, Canisius has now won four of the last five competitions. Niagara won the inaugural competition in 2006-07 and also won in 2009-10 while Canisius also won in 2007-08 and 2008-09.
- Niagara currently leads the 2013-14 competition 3-1.
- Canisius needs 16.5 total points to retain the Cup while Niagara needs 17 points to reclaim the Cup.
- Niagara enters Saturday's match with a 2-18 overall record and 1-8 record in the MAAC. The Purple Eagles swept Quinnipiac and then fell in four sets to Fairfield.
- Amanda Sedore is 10th in the MAAC in kills per set (2.62). Melissa McGwin is third in the MAAC in blocks per set (1.13). Allison Reis is fifth in the MAAC in digs per set (3.99).
- Saturday is the 90th all-time meeting. Canisius leads the series 46-41-2.