Saturday, Nov. 16 — 1 p.m.
Koessler Athletic Center
Canisius vs. Fairfield
Sunday, Nov. 17 — 1 p.m.
Koessler Athletic Center
The Canisius volleyball team concludes the 2013 season this weekend by hosting Quinnipiac University and Fairfield University in the Koessler Athletic Center.
DRIVE FOR DOUBLE DIGITS
- Canisius enters the weekend with an 8-8 record in conference play. The Golden Griffins are mathematically eliminated from qualifying for next weekend's four-team MAAC Championship but can still achieve a double-digit win total in conference play.
- With two wins on the weekend, the Golden Griffins would have 10 MAAC wins in 2013.
- Canisius would have 10 conference wins for the seventh time in the eight years since the MAAC went to a double round-robin schedule in 2006.
- Canisius is one of three teams in the MAAC, along with Fairfield and Siena, to have at least seven seasons of 10 or more league wins in the past eight campaigns.
NOTING THE GRIFFS
- Canisius has won four of its last five matches in the Koessler Athletic Center.
- Sophomore Lauren Siebert leads the Griffs and ranks sixth in the MAAC in attack percentage (.259). Siebert is hitting .381 in the last five matches and has not committed an attack error during that stretch
- Senior Roxanne Hernandez is third in the MAAC in blocks per set (1.11). Hernandez has 96 block assists on the season, which ranks fourth in the single-season record books. The 6-foot-3 middle blocker needs eight block assists on the weekend to move into third place.
- Junior Emily Litwin leads the MAAC in digs per set (4.91) and also leads the conference at 5.15 digs per set in league play.
QUICK LOOK AT THE SENIORS
- The four seniors on the Golden Griffin roster will play their final matches in a Canisius uniform this weekend. The volleyball program will honor the quartet prior to the start of Sunday's match.
- Emily Elek enters the weekend with 971 career kills in 118 matches played, ranking 10th in career kills. The Wescosville, Pa. native was named the MVP of the Bucknell Invitational earlier this year.
- Roxanne Hernandez enters the weekend with 419 kills and 270 blocks, ranking 10th in career blocks. Hernandez earned All-Tournament Team honors at the UB Invitational in 2012.
- Sydney Palka enters the weekend with 1,822 career assists in 106 matches. Palka ranks eight in program history in assists. The Tonawanda, N.Y. native earned All-Tournament Team honors at the Golden Griffin Invitational earlier this year.
- Jessica Warner enters the weekend having appeared in 98 career matches and recorded 339 kills, 365 digs, 56 service aces and 106 blocks. Warner is a two-time selection to the MAAC All-Academic Team.
- Quinnipiac enters Saturday's match with a 5-24 overall record and 3-13 record in conference play. The Bobcats earned a road win in five sets over Saint Peter's on Nov. 3.
- Allison Leigh leads the MAAC in blocks per set (1.24) as Quinnipiac ranks second in the MAAC in the category at 2.09 team blocks per set. Leigh also leads the team at 2.02 kills per set.
- Fairfield comes to Western New York with a 15-12 overall record and 12-4 record in conference play. The Stags overcame a 1-3 start to conference play with a 11-match winning streak against MAAC opponents. Iona snapped that winning streak with a five-set win over the Stags last weekend.
- Hayley Moyer leads the MAAC in attack percentage (.344) while Marilyn Peizer is fourth in the league in kills per set (3.11).