The Canisius College men’s lacrosse team looks to start MAAC play on a strong note as the team hosts Monmouth in its conference opener. The schools are set to battle on Saturday afternoon at 3 p.m. at the Demske Sports Complex.
SCOUTING THE GOLDEN GRIFFINS
• Canisius started the year 2-3 in non-conference games after an 11-10 overtime setback to Hobart.
• Junior midfielder Tim Edwards and sophomore attackman Vince Gravino lead the Griffs with 11 points each. Edwards has recorded a team-best seven assists with Gravino, junior Austin Romantic and sophomore Billy Jacobbi each netting a team-leading seven goals.
• Edwards has also led Canisius at the faceoff X, winning 67.5 percent of his faceoffs.
• The Griffs own the second-best scoring defense in the MAAC at 10.60 goals per game.
• Alex Govenettio has anchored the unit with a 10.05 goals against average and .532 save percentage.
CANISIUS IN MAAC OPENERS
• The Griffs are 9-9 all-time in MAAC openers, including an 8-7 record under Coach Mearns.
• Last season, Canisius earned a 10-7 win in its first conference game of the season, ending a four-game losing streak in its MAAC openers.
DUO SETS CAREER HIGHS
• The duo of Austin Romantic and Billy Jacobbi are both entering conference play on a high.
• The two combined for seven of the team’s 10 goals in Tuesday’s game against Hobart with Jacobbi netting a career-best four goals and Romantic recording his first career hat trick.
• Both are now tied for the team lead with seven goals this season along with Vince Gravino.
• Junior do-it-all midfielder Tim Edwards has excelled as the Griffs’ main face-off weapon in 2014.
• Edwards is ranked second nationally in the latest NCAA rankings by winning 67.5 percent of his restarts this season (56-of-83).
• The junior has won at least 50 percent of his draws in all five games, including a 60 percent mark in four of the five contests. He won a career-best 16 faceoffs in Tuesday’ game against Hobart.
EDWARDS DOES IT ALL
• Griffs fans have been used to junior Tim Edwards doing a little bit of everything for Canisius.
• In addition to winning 67.5 percent of his faceoffs this season, Edwards is tied for the team lead with 11 points, while posting a team-best 36 ground balls and seven assists.
• The junior entered the week ranked 16th nationally in ground balls per game.
CANISIUS - MONMOUTH SERIES HISTORY
• The conference foes are meeting for the first time.
ABOUT THE HAWKS
• Monmouth is in its first season of competition.
• The Hawks are still in search of their first victory, entering with an 0-5 record.
• Chris Daly leads the team with eight points on five goals and three assists. Tyler Keen has netted a team-best six goals.
• Garrett Conaway has anchored the defense with a 10.48 goals against average and .592 save percentage.
Courtesy: Brian Schneider Photography
Men's Lacrosse Hosts Monmouth in MAAC Opener
Courtesy: Canisius College Athletics