Canisius (20-13) vs. Indiana State (23-10)
April 18 & 20 - Demske Sports Complex (Buffalo, N.Y.)
April 19 - Dwyer Stadium (Batavia, N.Y.)
LHP Alex Godzak (4-3, 3.38 ERA) vs. LHP David Stagg (5-2, 2.12 ERA)
RHP Rohn Pierce (6-2, 2.23 ERA) vs. RHP Brad Lombard (6-0, 2.75 ERA)
RHP Devon Stewart (3-4, 5.24 ERA) vs. RHP Kurt Kudrecki (4-3, 3.58 ERA)
- Canisius wraps up its homestand with a three-game non-conference series against Indiana State University.
- The teams will play single games at the Demske Sports Complex on Friday and Sunday, and will play a single game at Dwyer Stadium, which is the home of Batavia Muckdogs, the Short-Season Class-A affiliate of the Miami Marlins.
- Canisius is playing a team from the Missouri Valley Conference for the first time since playing Creighton in 2010 when the Bluejays were a member of the MVC.
- Canisius has won six weekly awards from the conference office this season, the most in the MAAC.
- Through the first half of the MAAC schedule, the Canisius starting pitchers threw at least six innings in 11 of 12 starts and posted a quality start in nine of 12 starts. Both of those totals lead the conference.
- At the start of the week, Canisius had seven players (averaging at least 2.5 plate appearances per game) hitting above .310 while the rest of the MAAC combined had 15 players.
- Since the start of the 2008 season Canisius has 237 wins, which is the second-highest total in the Northeast as the Griffs only trail Connecticut (239).
- Canisius is the only team in the Northeast to have 33 or more wins in five of the last six seasons.
NOTING THE GRIFFS
- Junior Mike Krische enters the weekend with 39 stolen bases in his career, tied for the most by a Golden Griffin through his junior season.
- The Canisius starting pitchers have a 2.79 ERA through the opening nine conference games.
- Senior Jimmy Luppens ranks 15th in the country in on-base percentage (.496) while sophomore Anthony Massicci is 23rd nationally (.485).
- Canisius is one of four teams in the country, joining Delaware State, Florida State and Alabama A&M, with two players in the top-25 nationally in on-base percentage
- Entering the weekend, Canisius ranks ranks 14th in batting average (.309), 19th in scoring (7.0 runs per game), fifth in triples (17), 18th in slugging percentage (.428), 32nd in walks (156) and sixth in on-base percentage (.413).
SCOUTING THE SYCAMORES
- Indiana State comes to Western New York with a 24-10 overall record. The Sycamores rank No. 19 in the latest edition of the RPI released by the NCAA on Monday.
- Indiana State has wins this season over Ohio State, Connecticut, Lipscomb, Illinois State, and Indiana to go along with a three-game sweep of Wichita State.
- David Stagg leads the weekend rotation with a 5-2 record in nine starts to go along with a 2.12 ERA and 58 strikeouts in 59.1 innings. Stagg threw nine no-hit innings last week before being pulled in the series opener against Southern Illinois.
- Indiana State is 24-1 when scoring three or more runs this season and is 18-0 when leading after the fourth inning.