Canisius (11-23, 2-6 MAAC) vs. Siena (19-16, 7-1 MAAC)
Date: April 19, 2014
Time: Game One starts at 5 p.m.
Place: Demske Sports Complex – Buffalo, N.Y.
Live Stats: Available through GoGriffs.com
Twitter: @GoGriffs (athletic department) or @GriffsSoftball (softball)
Hashtags: #Griffs #MAACSoftball
SOFTBALL PLAYS HOST TO SIENA SATURDAY
• The Canisius softball team returns home to meet Siena Saturday evening with a pair of MAAC games at the Demske Sports Complex. Game time is set for 5 p.m.
• The Griffs are 11-23 overall and 2-6 in MAAC play after splitting a twinbill at Saint Peter's April 13. The team's non-conference doubleheader with Robert Morris, which was scheduled for April 16, was cancelled because of wet field conditions and cold weather.
• The series with Siena starts a stretch where Canisius will play 10 of its next 12 games at home.
• The Griffs are 2-4 at home this season.
• Canisius freshman Lindsey Silfer was named the MAAC Rookie of the Week on Monday after she hit .583 with three doubles, a home run, three RBI and six runs scored in eight games last week.
• Silfer is currently on an 11-game hitting streak and she's reached base safely in 12-straight contests, dating back to the second game of the Iona series April 6.
• Silfer leads the team with her .354 batting average. In the last 11 games, the Cicero, N.Y. native has raised her batting average by 74 points.
• Freshman Jessica Berzins ranks second on the team with her .347 batting average. She is tied for Silfer for the team lead in hits with 34, with eight of those hits being doubles.
• Three Griffs are hitting better than .300 for the season, including sophomore Alexis Roman, who is hitting .309.
• Sophomore Meghan Cuda leads the team and ranks tied for second in the MAAC with her eight home runs this year. As a team, Canisius has hit 11 homers in 34 games this year after hitting a total of 12 homers last season in 47 games.
• Cuda’s eight homers this year ties her for fourth all-time on the school’s single season home run list. Former Griff Beth Enk also had eight long balls in 2005.
• Cuda has a team-high 20 RBI this year. Last year in her rookie campaign, she had 19 runs batted in through 47 games.
• Senior Jen Consaul leads the Griffs’ pitching staff this year with her 10-14 record to go with a 2.73 ERA and 71 strikeouts in 164.0 innings of work.
• Consaul has gone the distance 21 times this year in 23 starts. She ranks second all-time in school history with 74 career complete-games. Her next complete game will allow her to pass former Griff Michelle Corrigan for first all-time in career complete games by a Canisius pitcher.
THE SIENA SCOUT
• Siena is 19-16 overall and 7-2 in MAAC play after the Saints swept Manhattan at home Friday afternoon.
• Sophomore Alyssa Lancaster leads the Siena offense with her .365 batting average. Four Siena players are hitting better than .300 this season.
• Senior Jessika-Jo Sandrini is 14-6 with a 2.42 ERA and 111 strikeouts in 118.2 innings of work in the circle for Siena. As a staff, the Saints have a team ERA of 3.01.
CANISIUS vs. SIENA SERIES
• Canisius is 38-8 all-time against Siena in softball.
• The Griffs are 10-4 in their last 14 meetings with the Saints. Last season, Siena swept Canisius on the final day of the regular-season in Loudonville, N.Y.
• Since Canisius joined the MAAC before the 1989-90 academic year, the Griffs are 22-1 all-time against Siena at the Demske Sports Complex.