Canisius College women's soccer head coach Jim Wendling announced the addition of eight new Golden Griffins for the upcoming season on Tuesday morning. The class features recruits from Florida, Michigan, New York, Ontario, and Pennsylvania, including two junior transfers.
Joining the Griffs next season are Cayli Carmona (Rochester, N.Y.), Hannah Chesney (Clinton Township, Mich.), Hannah Dalle (Rochester, N.Y.), Katie Felegy (Orange Park, Fla.), Sabrina Fitzgerald (London, Ontario), Callie Good (Palmyra, Pa.), Bailey Jordan (Portland, N.Y.), and Kat Lawver (Reamstown, Pa.).
Cayli Carmona is one of two incoming transfer students from Finger Lakes Community College (FLCC) in Canandaigua, N.Y. After a stellar high school career at Greece Olympia High School in nearby Rochester, N.Y., Carmona took her goal-scoring talents to FLCC for two years. In her two seasons with the Lakers, she recorded 59 goals to go along with 63 assists. She was selected as the 2012 National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) Region III Player of the Year, leading both the region and nation in goals. She led the Lakers to the 2011 Region III Championship, earning a trip to the NJCAA National Championship Tournament. In her career, the Lakers posted a record of 39-3-2.
• Graduated from Greece Olympia High School
Wendling on Carmona
A native of Clinton Township, Mich., Hannah Chesney arrives from highly-regarded Club Michigan Vardar of the Elite Clubs National League (ECNL). As a member of Club Michigan Vardar, Chesney participated in the 2011 Under-18 ECNL National Club Championships near Chicago, Ill. Originally recruited as an outside back, she can also play outside midfielder, center midfielder and forward. With an ability to play multiple positions, she can contribute in all aspects of the game. She displays solid technical skills with great vision of the field in her decisive passing ability. Her combination of quickness and speed will be a welcomed dimension to the Griffs' play.
• Attending International Academy of Macomb/Chippewa Valley High School
Wendling on Chesney
The second junior transfer to join the Griffs for the upcoming season is Hannah Dalle. A teammate of recruit Cayli Carmona at FLCC, Dalle played a key role in the Lakers' clinching of the 2011 NJCAA Regional Championship and advancement in the NJCAA National Tournament. In her two years at FLCC, she amassed 49 career goals and 50 career assists. As a freshman, she was named to the Mid-State Athletic Conference (MSAC) All-Conference Team and the NJCAA Region III All-Region Team.
• Graduated from Greece Olympia High School Wendling on Dalle
• Competed at Finger Lakes Community College for two seasons
• Named to MSAC All-Conference Team
• Selected to NJCAA All-Region Team
• At FLCC, tallied 148 career points, including 49 goals and 50 assists
• Parents are Ronald and Michelle Dalle
• Plans to major in mathematics
"Hannah is a player who can help the Griffs' soccer team in the fall by playing either a defensive or forward position. She is a strong, aggressive back, but we can also put her up top as a forward thanks to her dynamic goal-scoring ability."
• Graduated from Greece Olympia High School
Wendling on Dalle
A native of Orange Park, Fla., Katie Felegy joins the Griffs program from highly nationally-ranked Ponte Verda Soccer Club. At the time of her recruitment in 2012, Felegy's club team was ranked second in the Sunshine State and 39th in the nation. The 2011 Fla. State Cup Champions have improved their current national ranking to 12th overall. She will the role of an attacking center-midfielder, but has also played outside midfielder and forward. Her speed and 5-foot-10 frame provides the team with a great combination, which attracted the Griffs to her. As a senior, she led the Northeast Fla. area with 22 assists and finished tied for 19th in points with 48 points.
• Attending Ridgeview High School Wendling on Felegy
• Competes for 12th nationally-ranked Ponte Vedra Soccer Club
• Earned Scholar-Athlete Award
• Team captured the 2011 Fla. State Cup Championship
• Part of 2011 and 2012 Disney Showcase Champions
• As a senior, tallied 13 goals and 22 assists
• Led area with 22 assists in 2013
• Has compiled 29 career goals and 40 assists
• Competed on track team in 100m, 200m, long jump, and both the 400m relay and 800m relay
• Parents are Matt and Lisa Felegy
• Has a brother, Tyler (14)
• Her grandfather, Robert Funk, ran track for Lafayette University
• Plans to major in biology in pursuit of a career as a neurologist
"Katie is a tall, strong, physical center-mid that reads the game very well and can make the final third pass that leads to goals. She can also score directly from free kicks and corners with her great strike of the ball. She will be an excellent attacking force for our team."
• Attending Ridgeview High School
Wendling on Felegy
Reigning from London, Ontario, Sabrina Fitzgerald joins the Griffs from the North London Galaxy club team. In 2011, Fitzgerald and the Galaxy captured the Ontario Cup Championship for Under-17, reaching the Canadian Under-18 National Championship before falling in double overtime. She traveled to Barcelona Spain with her Under-16 Provincial Team, playing against international competition. In addition, she attended the Under-26 National All-Star Training Camp.
• Attending Mother Teresa Catholic High School Wendling on Fitzgerald
• Competes for North London Galaxy club team
• Part of 2012 Won Ontario Cup Championship.
• Team finished as runner-up at 2011 Under-18 National Championships.
• Participated in Under-16 National All-Star Camp.
• Selected to Ontario Provincial Soccer Program from 2008 to 2011
• Received Academic Student of Distinction Award in 2010 and 2011
• Three-time Top Cross Country Athlete Award honoree
• Parents are John and Clara Fitzgerald
• Has two siblings, Diana (16) and Johnny (10)
• Plans to major in biochemistry
"Sabrina is athletic with good speed and aggressiveness on the soccer field. She can play multiple positions from outside defender, center defender and center midfield. She has a great physical presence on the field and has a high level of experience in Canada from participating in the provincial training program, national championships and international competition. She should be able to compete right away as a freshman at the Division I level. I am very excited to have Sabrina join our team."
• Attending Mother Teresa Catholic High School
Wendling on Fitzgerald
Callie Good is one of two new Griffs from the Keystone State. Good is a reliable center-back from the Pa. Classics Soccer Club that is ranked second in Penn East and 58th in the nation. She is a ball-winning, hard-nose tackler and is unafraid of challenges. She displays her physical presence on the field and in the air. She reads the game well from the center-back position and has a great sense of proper positioning. Her athleticism is evident in her selection as an All-State honoree in basketball.
• Competes for 58th nationally-ranked Pa. Classics Wendling on Good
• 2011 and 2012 All-County selection
• 2012 All-League honoree
• Selected as a Mid-Penn Conference All-Star
• Ranked sixth in scoring in the state of Pennsylvania
• Named to 2012 Big 11 team, as one of the best 11 players in Central Pa.
• Parents are Earl and Lori Good
• Has a sister, Madison (16)
• Plans to major in marketing
• Chose to attend Canisius over Penn, Navy, Temple, Mount St. Mary's, Rider, and Drexel
"Callie's physicality was what I spotted right away during my recruitment of her. She will provide us with great presence on the backline. Right now, we need her aggressiveness and tackling abilities. She will also move up on corner kicks because she is great in the air. She has a tremendous ability to make long throw-ins into the 18-yard areas, which we can use in the attacking third of the field."
• Competes for 58th nationally-ranked Pa. Classics
Wendling on Good
Bailey Jordan joins the Griffs' soccer family from Portland, N.Y. Capable of playing center back, Jordan also has the ability to play as a defensive-holding center midfielder. She is a very strong back and has skill in the air. She possesses strong tackling and is good with the ball in tight spaces. She manages the ball well in her own end and does a great job building a passing game from the backline moving up the field.
• Attending Mercyhurst Preparatory School Wendling on Jordan
• Competes for Elite United Soccer Team
• First-team All-District selection
• Parents are Michael and Marion Jordan
• Brother attends Canisius
• Currently undecided on major
• Chose to attend Canisius over Niagara
"Jordan adds another strong, physical back to our team. Defending was our weakness on last year's squad, so Jordan will add some much needed defending skills to our roster. She comes from a very strong high school program that won the PIAA Class AA Finals and was also District Champions and Region Champions. Her high school team was ranked first in the State of Pennsylvania and 23rd in the nation. She and her club team went to Nationals in July 2011. We are very excited that Jordan chose Canisius over Niagara!"
• Attending Mercyhurst Preparatory School
Wendling on Jordan
A club teammate of fellow recruit Callie Good, Kat Lawver, offers the Griffs versatility as either a center midfielder or forward. Lawver has etched her name in the record books at Cocalico High School, owning most of the school's scoring records.
• Attending Cocalico High School Wendling on Lawver
• Competes for 58th nationally-ranked Pennsylvania Classics
• Tallied 15 goals and eight assists in 2012
• Recorded 16 goals and 12 assists in 2011
• Named Lebanon/Lancaster Section III First-Team All-Star
• Two-time Lancaster-Lebanon Pa. League (LLPL) Big-11 Team
• 2012 All-State honoree
• Led LLPL in assists and ranked second in points
• Led Section III in points
• All-time leading scorer in school history with 50 goals and 35 assists
• Attended 2010 Super-Y ODP National Camp
• Parents are Denny and Renee Lawver
• Her mother played Division I basketball at Duquesne
• Has two brothers, Michael (20) and Matt (16)
• Currently decided on major
• Chose to attend Canisius over Towson, Elon, Lehigh, Binghamton, and St. Joseph's
"I am very impressed with Kat's strong technical ball skills. She will be an outstanding offensive player either at attacking center-mid or forward. She can score goals from many areas - from a distance long-shot, from breakaways and out of the air using her great abilities with her head. She is also a great passer who has the ability to make a great final-third pass for a goal."
• Attending Cocalico High School
Wendling on Lawver