Game No. 6
Canisius (4-1, 0-0 MAAC) at Fairfield (4-4, 0-0 MAAC)
Date: Friday, Dec. 7, 2012
Time: 7 p.m.
Place: Webster Bank Arena (5, 298) - Bridgeport, Conn.
Video: Through FairfieldStags.com (pay-per-view)
Radio: AM-1400 (Buffalo)
Free Online Audio: GoGriffs.com
Talent: Jay Moran (p-x-p), Dave Schofield (color)
Twitter: @GoGriffs (athletic department) or @Griffs_MBB (men's basketball)
Hashtags: #Griffs #maachoops
CANISIUS OPENS MAAC PLAY AT FAIRFIELD FRIDAY
- The Canisius College men's basketball team open the MAAC portion of its 2012-13 schedule tonight when the team travels to play Fairfield in Bridgeport, Conn.
- The Golden Griffins are 4-1 on the year after beating UMBC by a score of 83-65 Nov. 29.
- The four wins for Canisius in the month of November are the most in school history.
- Fairfield comes into this game with a 4-4 record on the year. The Stags defeated Austin Peay on the road Dec. 1, by a score of 74-55 in their last outing.
FAST BREAK POINTS
- Canisius' 4-1 record through five games is the program's best five-game start since the team opened the 2000-01 campaign with a 4-1 record.
- The Golden Griffins' road win at UMBC Nov. 29, snapped the program's 10-game road losing streak, which dated back to Dec. 18, 2011 when the Blue and Gold beat South Dakota on the road in overtime.
- The Griffs are looking to end a 12-game MAAC losing streak in tonight's conference opener. Canisius' last league win came Jan. 13, 2012, when the team beat Marist at home.
- The Griffs have not won a MAAC road game since Feb. 11, 2011 ( a span of 11 conference road dates), and the last time the team started league play with a victory was during the 2009-10 season when the Blue and Gold dropped Loyola at home to start MAAC play.
- Junior guard Billy Baron leads the team and ranks fourth in the MAAC with his 17.8 points per game. He's scored in double figures in all five games this year.
- Baron had a game-high seven assists at UMBC Nov. 29, and he starts tonight's game averaging 6.0 assists per game, which ranks second in the league and 25th nationally.
- Senior guard Harold Washington comes into tonight's game averaging 17.2 points per game this season, which ranks second on the team and sixth in the league.
- Junior center Jordan Heath has scored in double figures in each of the Griffs' last three games after he scored 12 points at UMBC.
- Senior Alshwan Hymes will be playing in his 90th career game this evening.
ABOUT THE STAGS
- Fairfield comes into tonight's game with a 4-4 record in 2012-13 after beating Austin Peay on the road Dec. 1 by a score of 74-55.
- Tonight's game will be the Stags' first home game of the season. Fairfield has played five road games and three neutral site contests so far.
- Fairfield won 22 games last season a saw its year end in the semifinal round of the 2012 CBI postseason tournament.
- Senior guard Derek Needham was chosen as a Preseason All-MAAC First-Team honoree. He comes into tonight's game averaging 14.6 points, 3.9 assists and 3.5 rebounds per game.
- Junior forward Keith Matthews ranks second on the team with his 8.5 points per contest and he's averaging 4.3 rebounds per game. Of his 34 rebounds this season, 14 have come off the offensive glass.
- Freshman forward Amadou Sidibe leads the team with his 5.3 rebounds per game, which ranks 15th in the MAAC.
- As a team, Fairfield is averaging 63.9 points per game and is shooting 42.9 percent from the field.
CANISIUS - FAIRFILED SERIES
- Tonight's game will be the 74th all-time meeting between these two Jesuit schools, with Fairfield holding a 43-30 advantage in the series.
- The Stags have won nine-straight and 22 of the last 27 games in this series. Canisius' last win over Fairfield came Feb. 1, 2008, when the Blue and Gold posted an 88-60 victory in Buffalo.
- The Griffs are 2-9 all-time against Fairfield in the Webster Bank Arena. The last time the Griffs beat Fairfield in Bridgeport, Conn., was Jan. 7, 2006 when the Blue and Gold scored an 84-73 win.
- Fairfield has held Canisius to 65 points or less in eight of the last nine games in this series.
CANISIUS IN MAAC OPENERS
- Canisius starts its 24th season in MAAC play tonight, with the Griffs holding a 152-237 all-time record in MAAC regular-season contests.
- The Griffs are 9-14 all-time in the first MAAC game of the season.
- Canisius has not won its MAAC opener on the road since the 2002-03 season when the Griffs started league action with an 89-69 victory at Niagara.