Game No. 11
Canisius (8-2, 2-0 MAAC) at No. 21 UNLV (10-1)
Date: Saturday, Dec. 22, 2012
Time: 10 p.m. (Eastern)
Place: Thomas & Mack Center (18,500) - Las Vegas, Nev.
Video: Through UNLVRebels.com
Radio: AM-1400 (Buffalo)
Free Online Audio: GoGriffs.com
Talent: Jay Moran (p-x-p)
Twitter: @GoGriffs (athletic department) or @Griffs_MBB (men's basketball)
Hashtags: #Griffs #maachoops
CANISIUS MEETS No. 21 UNLV ON THE ROAD
- The Canisius College men's basketball team will hit the floor one last time before Christmas tonight when the Golden Griffins play at No. 21 UNLV.
- The Golden Griffins are 8-2 overall and 2-0 in Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference play after the Blue and Gold knocked off Temple 72-62 Wednesday night in Philadelphia.
- Canisius comes into tonight's game shooting 39.4 percent from 3-point land on the year and the team has knocked down a total of 61 3-pointers in its last five contests.
FAST BREAK POINTS
- Canisius' win over Temple on the road in Philadelphia stands as the program's first road win in the City of Brotherly Love since Nov. 16, 1994 when the Griffs went on the road and beat Penn in the first round of the Preseason NIT.
- The Griffs have scored 80-plus points in four games this season, the most for the program since 2006-07.
- Canisius was charged with 10 turnovers in the win at Temple on Wednesday, the fifth time this year the team had 10 or fewer turnovers in a game.
- Since the UMBC game Nov. 29, where Canisius went just 3-for-20 from 3-point range, the Blue and Gold have hit 61 treys in their last four games, highlighted by a school-record 17 makes from behind the arc Dec. 9 at Marist.
- Canisius knocked down 10 3-pointers Wednesday at Temple and the team comes into tonight's game ranked 15th in the nation with 9.3 3-point makes per contest.
- Junior guard Billy Baron led four Canisius players in double-figure points at Temple as he poured in a game-high 19 for the Griffs. He is averaging 16.2 points per game.
- Senior guard Reggie Groves came off the bench and knocked down a career-high four 3-pointers at Temple for 12 points. He scored his career high (14) against UNLV last season.
- Junior Chris Manhertz had a game-high 13 rebounds at Temple and enters tonight's game ranked second in the MAAC in rebounding average at 8.2 boards per outing.
ABOUT THE RUNNIN' REBELS
- UNLV comes into tonight's game with a 10-1 record, riding a seven-game winning streak that dates back to Nov. 24.
- The Runnin' Rebels are 7-1 at home and are averaging 78.4 points per game, which ranks 17th in the nation.
- UNLV is 25-2 in the months of November and December under second-year head coach Dave Rice. The Runnin' Rebels returned home on Wednesday night to defeat Northern Iowa 73-59 after being on the program's annual "Rodeo Road Trip".
- UNLV freshman Anthony Bennett is averaging 19.4 points and 8.6 rebounds per game in his first 11 collegiate games. Bennett, a native of Brampton, Ontario, leads all freshmen in the country in scoring average.
- Senior guard Anthony Marshall currently ranks third on the team with his 10.6 points per game, while dishing out 5.0 assists per contest. He's also shooting 56 percent (14-for-25) from 3-point range.
- Junior forward Mike Moser has missed the team's last three games with a dislocated elbow.
CANISIUS - UNLV SERIES
- This will be the second all-time meeting between these two schools, as the Golden Griffins and the Runnin' Rebels played for the first time Nov. 17, 2011 in the Thomas & Mack Center.
- UNLV won last year's contest by a score of 95-70. The Runnin' Rebels shot 61.1 percent from the floor and 55 percent from 3-point range in the win.
- Canisius senior Alshwan Hymes scored a team-high 16 points in last year's contest, while junior Reggie Groves posted a career-high 14 points to go with four assists off the bench.