Game No. 15
Canisius (9-5, 2-1 MAAC) vs. Marist (4-10, 1-2 MAAC)
Date: Saturday, Jan. 5, 2013
Time: 7 p.m.
Place: Koessler Athletic Center (2,196) - Buffalo, N.Y.
Video: GoGriffs.com and MAAC.tv
Radio: AM-1400 (Buffalo)
Free Online Audio: GoGriffs.com
Talent: Jay Moran (p-x-p) and Dave Schofield (color)
Twitter: @GoGriffs (athletic department) or @Griffs_MBB (men's basketball)
Hashtags: #Griffs #maachoops
CANISIUS CLOSES OUT SEASON SERIES WITH MARIST SATURDAY
- The Canisius College men's basketball team will look to end its first two-game losing skid of 2012-13 tonight when the team hosts Marist in the Koessler Athletic Center.
- The Griffs are 9-5 overall and 2-1 in MAAC play after losing to Fairfield by a score of 66-45 on Thursday night. The 45 points scored are a season low for the team.
- Marist comes into this game having dropped four straight, including its game Thursday at Niagara, where the Purple Eagles posted a 94-72 win over the Red Foxes.
FAST BREAK POINTS
- Canisius' loss on Thursday night snapped the program's six-game home winning streak, which dated back to last year.
- The Griffs had been red-hot from 3-point land in the month of December, where the Blue and Gold hit 94 3-pointers in eight games. In Thursday's loss to Fairfield, Canisius connected from long rage three times, matching a season-low.
- Despite a rough night from 3-point range on Thursday, the Griffs rank eighth nationally in 3-point field goals per game with 9.2 and 17th in the country in 3-point field goal percentage at 39.8 percent from behind the arc.
- Junior guard Billy Baron was named the MAAC's Player of the Week Dec. 31, the second time this season he's been recognized by the conference.
- Baron comes into tonight's game ranked fourth in the MAAC in scoring average (17.5 ppg) and second in assists per game with 5.1 per contest.
- Junior Chris Manhertz is coming off his fifth career double-double (his first this year) after he had 11 points and 13 rebounds against Fairfield. Earlier this season, he pulled down a career-high 18 rebounds in the team's win at Marist.
- Canisius head coach Jim Baron comes into tonight's game against with a career record of 398-374 in 26 years. Among all of Canisius' head coaches, only former head coach and current Michigan bench boss John Beilein (579) has more career victories.
ABOUT THE RED FOXES
- Marist comes into tonight's game with a 4-10 overall record and a 1-2 mark in MAAC play after losing on the road to Niagara Thursday.
- The Red Foxes are averaging 62.5 points per game, which ranks 281st in the nation. Marist scored a season-high 94 points in its win over Maine Dec. 16, seven days after the Red Foxes gave up 94 points to Canisius.
- Senior guard Devin Price is the team's leading scorer with his 13.9 points per game, while sophomore Chavaughn Lewis is chipping in 13.4 points per outing. Price also leads the team with 27 3-pointers.
- Junior forward Adam Kemp is good for 7.2 rebounds per game, which ranks third in the league.
- As a team, Marist is shooting 39.8 percent from the field, which ranks eighth in the MAAC, and the team's minus 8.4 scoring margin is also eighth in the conference.
CANISIUS - MARIST SERIES
- This will be the 37th all-time meeting between Canisius and Marist, with the Golden Griffins holding a 21-15 advantage in the series.
- The Griffs have won eight of the last 11 games between these two programs, dating back to 2008-09, and the Blue and Gold's win in the McCann Arena Dec. 9 ended the program's two-game road losing streak in this series.
- Canisius has won four straight at home in the series and holds an 11-4 advantage in home dates since this series began Jan. 31, 1998.
- These two schools did not play until Marist joined the MAAC prior to the 1997-98 season.