Game No. 17
Canisius (10-6, 3-2 MAAC) at Iona (10-6, 4-1 MAAC)
Date: Sunday, Jan. 13, 2013
Time: 2 p.m.
Place: Hynes Athletic Center (2,611) - New Rochelle, N.Y.
Video: GoGriffs.com and MAAC.tv
Radio: AM-1400 (Buffalo)
Free Online Audio: GoGriffs.com
Talent: Jay Moran (p-x-p)
Twitter: @GoGriffs (athletic department) or @Griffs_MBB (men's basketball)
Hashtags: #Griffs #maachoops
CANISIUS BATTLES IONA SUNDAY AFTERNOON
- The Canisius College men's basketball team closes out its weekend on the road with a MAAC game at Iona this afternoon in New Rochelle, N.Y.
- The Griffs are 10-6 overall and 3-2 in MAAC play after the team lost to Siena 57-54 on Friday night when Siena guard Rakeem Brookins hit a 3-pointer as the final buzzer sounded.
- Canisius comes into this afternoon's game ranked third in the MAAC in scoring average (73.2 ppg), but the Griffs are averaging just 57.3 ppg in their last three contests.
FAST BREAK POINTS
- The next win for Canisius head coach Jim Baron will be the 400th of his career. He comes into today's game against with a career record of 399-375 in 26 years. Among all of Canisius' head coaches, only former head coach and current Michigan bench boss John Beilein (583) has more career victories.
- The Griffs hit eight 3-point field goals in the loss at Siena Friday night. The Blue and Gold starts today's game ranked second in the MAAC and seventh in the country with 9.2 3-pointers per game.
- As a team, Canisius ranks third in the MAAC in rebounding offense at 35.6 boards per game, and Canisius is one of two MAAC teams (with Loyola) to have a positive rebounding margin.
- The Griffs are averaging 16.8 turnovers per game in the team's first five MAAC games this season. In all, 36.7 percent of the team's total turnovers this season have come against MAAC rivals.
- Junior guard Billy Baron is tied for fifth in the MAAC in scoring average at 17.1 points per game, and his 5.6 assists per contest leads the league (and ranks 38th nationally).
- Senior Isaac Sosa hit three 3-pointers at Siena on Friday. In his last 10 games, he has 40 makes from 3-point land.
- Junior Chris Manhertz had 10 rebounds at Siena on Friday and comes into this afternoon's game ranked first among rebounders in conference games with 13.2 per game.
ABOUT THE GAELS
- Iona comes into this afternoon's game riding a four-game winning streak after the team went on the road and defeated Marist 86-82 Thursday night.
- The Gaels are 10-6 overall and 4-1 in MAAC play. The team's last loss came Dec. 28, at Saint Joseph's in Philadelphia.
- Iona leads the MAAC and ranks seventh in the country in scoring average at 81.6 points per game. Defensively, the Gaels are giving up 76.1 points per game, which ranks 10th in the league and 305th nationally.
- Iona starts today with two of the MAAC's top-three scorers.
- Senior guard Lamont Jones lis averaging 22.9 points per game this season, which leads the conference and ranks third in the nation. He also leads the Iona team with his 4.3 assists per contest.
- Fellow senior Sean Armand is chipping in 18.1 points per game, while sophomore David Laury is posting 15.3 points and 8.7 rebounds per game.
- Armand is one of the top 3-point threats in the nation, as he ranks seventh in the country with 3.7 3-pointers made per game. His 42.8 3-point field goal percentage is 38th in the nation as well.
CANISIUS - IONA SERIES
- This will be the 59th all-time meeting between these two schools in a series that started Feb. 19, 1955 in The Aud in Buffalo.
- Iona holds a 31-27 lead in the series, with the Gaels taking four of the last five games and eight of the last 11 overall.
- The Griffs are 6-19 all-time in the Hynes Athletic Center, with the team's last win on the road in the series coming Jan. 29, 2007.
- In the last meeting between these two squads, Iona defeated Canisius 105-86. Those 105 points are the most for the Gaels in series history.