McCann Arena (Poughkeepsie, N.Y.)
Friday, Feb. 1 - 7 p.m.
Live Video: MAAC.TV
Free Audio Broadcast: GoGriffs.com
Mike Scott (p-x-p)
Hashtags: #Griffs #MAACHoops
- The Canisius women’s basketball team opens the month of February at defending league champion Marist College in the McCann Arena on Friday night.
- Canisius and Marist are meeting for the second time this season, with the Red Foxes defeating the Griffs 51-41 in the Koessler Athletic Center on Jan. 18.
- Canisius starts the month of February having won six of its past nine games and with three straight wins away from home.
- Marist leads the all-time series 26-13 and has won nine straight against the Griffs.
- Canisius is the last MAAC team to defeat Marist in Poughkeepsie as the Red Foxes have won 34 consecutive conference home games, dating back to a 68-60 win by the Griffs on Feb. 6, 2009.
- Senior Ashley Durham enters the week ranked sixth nationally in free-throw percentage at 93.1 percent.
- As a team, Canisius ranks 21st nationally in free-throw percentage at 75.1 percent.
- Canisius’ opponents are shooting 35.9 percent from the field on the season and 33.8 percent from the field in eight conference games, the lowest percentages in the league.
- After making a season-high 11 3-pointers at Loyola on Jan. 24, the Griffs shot 1-of-20 from behind the arc against Niagara on Sunday. It was the first time this season that Canisius didn’t make at least four 3-pointers in a game.
- Canisius has a league-best three of the top 10 players in the MAAC in blocked shots. The Griffs have two players with 20 or more blocks for the sixth time in program history.
SCOUTING THE GRIFFS
- A second-year captain, senior Allison Braun has a team-best 36 offensive rebounds. In the last 12 games, the Erie, Pa. native is shooting 47.1 percent and has a 1.20 assist-turnover ratio in the last nine games.
- Senior Ashley Durham ranks second in the MAAC with a 17.1 points per game average, scoring 11 or more points in nine straight games. Durham has made 53 of her last 55 free throws and ranks first in program history in free-throw percentage (83.9).
- Senior Ashley Wilkes is ninth in the MAAC in rebounding (6.7), posting two double-doubles on the season. Wilkes is tied for fourth in the MAAC at 1.2 blocks per game on the season and is shooting 50 percent from the floor in the last three games.
- Junior Jamie Ruttle is shooting 61.1 percent on two-point shots in the last six games, and ranks eighth in the MAAC with a 43.9 field goal percentage. The 6-foot-3 forward has scored in double figures 37 times in her career.
- Junior Jen Morabito has made 142 3-pointers in 75 career games. Eighty of her 96 field-goal attempts (83.3 percent) this season are 3-pointers and 74.2 percent of her field goal attempts in her career have come from behind the arc.
- Junior Jen Lennox is sixth in the conference in blocks per game. Lennox has nine blocks in the last four games, recording a block in four straight games for the second time in her career.
- Sophomore Kayla Hoohuli, a 2012 MAAC All-Rookie Team selection, has made a 3-pointer in 39 career games. Hoohuli, who matched a career-high with 18 points against Long Beach State on Dec. 20, has drawn 11 charges in the last 15 games.
- Sophomore Brooke Angelos has 11 assists and four turnovers in the last three games. Angelos has attempted 16 free throws in the last six games.
- Freshman Tiahana Mills is seventh in the MAAC at 3.1 assists per game and is sixth with a 1.2 assist-turnover ratio. Mills is the only Golden Griffin to start all 19 games this year.
- Marist starts the month of February with a 13-6 overall record and an 8-0 record in the MAAC after a 75-64 win over Siena on Monday night.
- Marist has won 34 consecutive home conference games and 52 of their last 53 MAAC games.
- Two of Marist’s games this season have been decided by single digits, including a 61-56 win over Fairfield on Jan. 6.
- Marist has a league-best four players in the top 20 of the league in scoring average, led by Elizabeth Beynnon at 11.9 points per game
- Emma O’Connor earned MAAC co-Player of the Week honors on Monday. O’Connor ranks fourth in the conference with a 53.1 field goal percentage in league play.
- Marist ranks fifth nationally in free throw percentage (78.8) with three players in the top 100.
- The Red Foxes are averaging 61.8 points per game and allowing 57.4 points. Marist has a 27.0 offensive rebounding percentage and 65.0 defensive rebounding percentage. They have a turnover on 20.2 percent of their possessions.
- Brian Giorgis is in his 11th season at Marist and has a 264-79 career record. Giorgis has led Marist to nine consecutive regular-season titles, eight of the last nine conference championships and five NCAA Tournament victories.
SERIES HISTORY VS. MARIST
- Canisius and Marist are meeting for the 40th time, with the Red Foxes leading the all-time series 26-13.
- Marist has won the last nine meetings between the teams, with the last Canisius win coming in a 68-60 victory in the McCann Arena on Feb. 6, 2009. That is the last home loss for Marist in league play.
- The teams have met in the postseason five times in the last nine seasons, including three times in the title game. Canisius defeated Marist 60-59 in the 2005 MAAC Championship, the last team to win the conference championship beside the Red Foxes.
- Marist defeated Canisius 51-41 on Jan. 18, in the KAC. The Red Foxes held Canisius to nine first-half points as the Griffs shot 2-for-24 from the floor in the opening 20 minutes.
- Canisius has three wins over Marist since 2004-05, the most of any team in the conference. Fairfield, Loyola, Manahttan and Saint Peter’s have two apiece while Niagara and Siena each have one.
GRIFFS VS. MARIST
- Senior Ashley Durham led Canisius with 16 points on Jan. 18, in the KAC.
- Senior Allison Braun scored 10 points at Marist last season, with five rebounds and four assists in the Jan. 4, 2012 meeting McCann Arena.
- Junior Jamie Ruttle has scored in double figures four times against the Red Foxes, posting a double-double (12 points, 12 rebounds) in Poughkeepsie on Feb. 14, 2011. Sophomore Kayla Hoohuli had 14 points, including 4-for-7 on 3-pointers, at Marist last season.