Game No. 23
Presented by Pepsi
Canisius (14-8, 7-4 MAAC) vs. Iona (14-8, 8-3 MAAC)
Date: Saturday, Feb. 2, 2013
Time: 7 p.m.
Place: Koessler Athletic Center (2,196) - Buffalo, N.Y.
Online: GoGriffs.com and MAAC.tv
Radio: AM-1400 (Buffalo)
Free Online Audio: GoGriffs.com
Talent: Jay Moran (p-x-p) and Garrett Layton (color)
Twitter: @GoGriffs (athletic department) or @Griffs_MBB (men's basketball)
Hashtags: #Griffs #maachoops
CANISIUS SQUARES OFF WITH IONA ON SATURDAY
- The Canisius College men's basketball team closes out its three-game MAAC homestand tonight when the Golden Griffins play host to Iona in the Koessler Athletic Center.
- The Griffs are 14-8 overall and 7-4 in MAAC play after the team defeated Loyola (Md.) 91-79 Thursday night.
- Iona comes into this game with a 14-8 overall record and an 8-3 mark in MAAC play. The Gaels ranks fourth in the nation in scoring average at 82.2 points per game.
FAST BREAK POINTS
- Canisius' 14 wins through the month of January are the most for the program since the 1985-86 team also had 14 wins at the start of February.
- The Griffs also enter February with seven MAAC wins, the most conference victories for the program before Feb. 1, since the school joined the league prior to the 1989-90 season.
- Canisius comes into tonight's game with nine wins at home, the team's most home wins since the 2010-11 season when the team had 10 victories in the Koessler Center.
- The Blue and Gold shot a season-high 60.4 percent from the field in Thursday's win over Loyola (Md.) - the first time the team has been 60 percent or better from the floor in a game since Feb. 1, 2008 when the Griffs shot 61.7 percent from the field in a home victory over Fairfield.
- As a team, Canisius comes into tonight's game averaging 9.4 3-point field goals per game, which ranks second in the MAAC and fourth in the nation.
- Junior center Jordan Heath posted his second double-double in the team's last three games when he had a career-high 21 points and 11 rebounds against Loyola on Thursday.
- Heath also recorded a career-high seven blocked shots in Thursday's win - the most blocks for a Griff since Marial Dhal had five blocks at Loyola (Md.) Jan. 7, 2012.
- Senior Isaac Sosa hit six 3-point field goals in Thursday's win over the Greyhounds, the seventh time this year he's hit five or more 3-pointers in a game.
ABOUT THE GAELS
- Iona comes into tonight's game with a 14-8 overall record and an 8-3 mark in MAAC play after falling to Niagara in overtime on Thursday by a final score of 93-90.
- The Gaels lead the MAAC and rank fourth in the nation in scoring average with 82.2 points per game.
- Senior Lamont Jones leads the MAAC and ranks fourth nationally in scoring average with 22.3 points per game. He also averages 3.7 assists per contest as well.
- Junior Sean Armand is good for 18.1 points per game. He's knocking down 3.7 3-pointers per game this year, which ranks first in the conference and sixth in the country.
CANISIUS - IONA SERIES
- This will be the 60th all-time meeting between these two schools in a series that started Feb. 19, 1955 in The Aud in Buffalo.
- Iona holds a 32-27 lead in the series, with the Gaels taking five of the last six games.
- The Griffs are 18-10 all-time against Iona at home, with the team's last home victory coming Jan. 23, 2011.
- The Griffs and Gaels have combined for 375 total points in the last two games in this series.