Date: Thursday, Feb. 7
Time: 7 p.m.
Site: Koessler Athletic Center
Live Video: GoGriffs.com and MAAC.TV
Free Audio Broadcast: GoGriffs.com
Mike Scott (p-x-p)
Kyle Ferrara (sideline)
Hashtags: #Griffs #MAACHoops
- The Canisius women’s basketball team returns home looking to snap a three-game losing streak against Saint Peter’s University in the Koessler Athletic Center on Thursday night.
- Canisius defeated Saint Peter’s 62-52 in the first meeting between the teams earlier this season, which came on Jan. 12, in Jersey City.
- Saint Peter’s leads the all-time series 29-22 over Canisius while the Golden Griffins have won six of the last eight overall against the Peacocks and each of the last nine meetings between the teams in the KAC.
- Senior Ashley Durham starts the week ranked third nationally in free-throw percentage (93.5) while as a team, Canisius ranks 21st nationally (75.3) in the category.
- Canisius has used four different starting lineups in the last six games and has used nine unique starting lineups in the first 21 games of the season.
- Canisius’ opponents are shooting 36.0 percent from the field on the season, which ranks first in the MAAC.
- Canisius also leads the conference at 6.2 3-point field goals made per game. The Griffs are the only team in the MAAC with three players shooting 30 percent or better from behind the arc.
- Thursday’s game is a part of the Jesuit Basketball Spotlight - a nationwide effort to capitalize on basketball games between Jesuit schools and, through those games, bring greater positive awareness and exposure to Jesuit education and its shared mission.
SCOUTING THE GRIFFS
- A second-year captain, senior Allison Braun has a team-best 40 offensive rebounds. Braun has led the team in rebounding six times this season and started four of the last five games.
- Senior Ashley Durham is tied for third in the MAAC with a 15.3 points per game average, scoring eight or more points in 11 straight games. Durham has made 57 of her last 59 free throws and ranks first in program history in free-throw percentage (84.0).
- Senior Ashley Wilkes is 10th in the MAAC in rebounding (6.4), posting two double-doubles on the season. Wilkes ranks fourth in the MAAC at 1.1 blocks per game on the season and is shooting 54.5 percent from the floor in the last five games.
- Junior Jamie Ruttle is shooting 56.7 percent on two-point shots in the last eight games, and ranks eighth in the MAAC with a 45.2 field goal percentage. The 6-foot-3 forward has scored in double figures 38 times in her career.
- Junior Jen Morabito has made 144 3-pointers in 76 career games. Ninety-two of her 110 field-goal attempts (83.6 percent) this season are 3-pointers and 74.5 percent of her field goal attempts in her career have come from behind the arc.
- Junior Jen Lennox is sixth in the conference in blocks per game. Lennox has nine blocks in the last five games and has a block in 40 career games.
- Sophomore Kayla Hoohuli, a 2012 MAAC All-Rookie Team selection, has made a 3-pointer in 41 career games, shooting 38.9 percent from behind the arc in the last four games. Hoohuli has drawn 11 charges in the last 16 games after drawing a team-best 13 charges as a freshman.
- Sophomore Brooke Angelos has 14 assists and a 2.00 assist-turnover ratio in the last five games. Angelos has attempted 26 free throws in the last eight games.
- Freshman Tiahana Mills leads MAAC freshmen with a 2.9 assists per game average. Mills is the only Golden Griffin to start all 21 games this year.
- Freshman Crystal Porter played 18 minutes at Manhattan on Sunday, her highest total since the season opener. Porter is averaging 10.4 rebounds per 40 minutes.
SAINT PETER’S SCOUT
- Saint Peter’s comes to Western New York with a 1-20 record and 1-9 record in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference.
- The Peacocks dropped both games last weekend after a 60-49 win at Manhattan on Jan. 27.
- Senior Kristal Edwards ranks sixth in the MAAC in scoring average (13.2) while Aziza May is 14th in the league at 10.8 points per game.
- Kaydine Bent is seventh in the MAAC with a 7.0 rebounding average while Jesika Holmes is averaging 6.8 boards per contest.
- May ranks third in the MAAC with a 3.5 assists per game average. Holmes is second in the conference at 2.8 steals per game with Edwards third at 2.7 steals per contest.
- Hala El Shaarawy is third in the MAAC at 1.3 blocks per game.
- In conference play, Edwards leads the MAAC at 37.1 minutes per game.
- The Peacocks are averaging 51.3 points per game and allowing 68.3 points. Saint Peter’s has a 30.1 offensive rebounding percentage and 60.9 defensive rebounding percentage. They have a turnover on 25.9 percent of their possessions.
- Stephanie DeWolfe is in her ninth season at her alma mater. Tiffany Jones is serving as acting head coach with DeWolfe on materinty leave.
SERIES HISTORY VS. SAINT PETER’S
- Canisius and Saint Peter’s are meeting for the 52nd time with the Peacocks leading the all-time series 29-22.
- Canisius has won six of the last eight between the teams and won each of the last nine meetings between the teams in the Koessler Athletic Center. The last Saint Peter’s win in the KAC came on Dec. 6, 2002, in a 66-63 win for the Peacocks.
- The Griffs defeated Saint Peter’s 62-52 in the first meeting between the teams on Jan. 12, in the Yanitelli Center. Canisius trailed 30-20 at the half and outscored Saint Peter’s 42-22 in the second half.
GRIFFS VS. SAINT PETER’S
- Senior Ashley Durham has scored in double figures in each of the last four games against Saint Peter’s, averaging 12 points per game and posting 14 assists in those four games.
- Senior Ashley Wilkes has 37 rebounds in four career games, averaging 14.5 rebounds in the last two meetings.
- Sophomore Kayla Hoohuli is averaging 11.3 points in four career games against the Peacocks, averaging 2.0 3-pointers per game.
- Junior Jamie Ruttle has scored in double figures in each of the last three meetings, averaging 11.7 points in that span.