Game No. 27
Canisius College (10-16, 7-8 MAAC) vs. Fairfield University (16-10, 10-5 MAAC)
Sunday, Feb. 24, 2013 - 2 p.m.
Koessler Athletic Center
Live Video: GoGriffs.com and MAAC.TV
Free Audio Broadcast: GoGriffs.com
Mike Scott (p-x-p)
Garrett Layton (color)
Kyle Ferrara (sideline)
Hashtags: #MAACHoops #Griffs
- The Canisius women’s basketball team closes out its 2012-13 regular-season home schedule against Fairfield University on Senior Day in the Koessler Athletic Center on Sunday.
- The teams are meeting for the second time in the last 11 days. Fairfield defeated Canisius 56-50 in Webster Bank Arena on Feb. 14.
- Fairfield leads the all-time series 31-21 and has won the last seven meetings between the teams. The last Canisius win came in a 62-55 win over Fairfield in the semifinals of the 2009 MAAC Championship in Albany.
- Canisius has won three of its last four games on Senior Day.
- Senior Ashley Durham enters the weekend ranked ninth nationally in free-throw percentage (90.7) while as a team, Canisius ranks 14th nationally in the category.
- Canisius is the only team in the MAAC with three players who have each made at least 35 3-pointers on the season.
- Canisius has two players - Ashley Wilkes and Jen Lennox - with more than 25 blocks in the same season for the first time in the program’s Division I history.
- Prior to the start of the game, the Griffs will honor the three members of their senior class - senior captain Allison Braun, Durham and Wilkes.
- Entering Sunday’s game, Canisius has raised more than $2,700 for its 3 For A Cure Campaign, raising money for neurofibromatosis type 2 with each 3-point field goal made.
NOTING THE GRIFFS
- Senior Ashley Durham ranks fourth in the MAAC with a 15.5 scoring average in league play.
- Junior Jamie Ruttle is averaging 6.4 rebounds per game in the month of February.
- Sophomore Kayla Hoohuli has drawn a team-high 14 charges this season, including one in three of the last four games.
- Freshman Tiahana Mills has nearly twice as many assists (70) as any other freshman in the conference (Taylor Wentzel of Rider has 37).
- Junior Jen Lennox is averaging 8.0 points and 4.3 rebounds in the last four games while shooting 65 percent in 15.3 minutes per game off the bench.
- Canisius has made 18 3-pointers in the last two games after making 23 3-pointers in the previous five games combined.
- Canisius is the only team in the MAAC with three players shooting over 30 percent from behind the arc in conference play — Durham (37.0), Jen Morabito (31.6), and Hoohuli (30.6).
- The Griffs are also the only team in the conference with three of the top 10 players in 3-point field goals made per game — Durham (1.5), Morabito (1.5) and Hoohuli (1.5).
- Fairfield enters Sunday’s game with a 16-10 overall record and in a tie for second place in the MAAC with a 10-5 record.
- Katie Cizynski leads the team and ranks 10th in the scoring at 12.1 points per game. The junior also ranks fifth in the MAAC in rebounds per game (8.3) and third in field goal percentage (49.2).
- Sophomore Alexys Vazquez leads the MAAC in 3-point field goals made per game (2.3) and is fourth in 3-point field goal percentage (40.0).
- Katelyn Linney and Vazquez have combined to make 110 3-pointers on the season, 24 more than any other duo in the conference.
- Christelle Akon-Akech is averaging 10 points and 7.3 rebounds in the last three games.
- Fairfield is averaging 63.4 possessions per game, the fewest in the conference.
- The Stags are averaging 54.3 points per game and allowing a league-low 52.3 points. Fairfield has a 31.6 offensive rebounding percentage and a league-best 70.1 defensive rebounding percentage. They have a turnover on 23.8 percent of their possessions.
- Joe Frager is in his sixth season at Fairfield and has a 117-68 career record. Frager has led the Stags to the MAAC Championship game in two of the last three seasons.
SERIES HISTORY VS. FAIRFIELD
- Canisius and Fairfield are meeting for the 53rd time, with the Stags holding a 31-21 lead in the all-time series.
- Fairfield defeated Canisius 56-50 in the first meeting of the season between the teams on Feb. 14 at the Webster Bank Arena. Canisius only made two field goals in the final 15 minutes of the game.
- The Griffs jumped out to a 10-3 lead to start the game and scored 10 of the first 12 points of the second half to go up 43-33.
- In last year’s meeting in Buffalo, Fairfield shot 51.2 percent from the floor, including 63.2 percent in the first half, to defeat the Griffs 63-51.
- Fairfield has won the last seven meetings, including four straight in the KAC. The last Canisius victory in the series came in a 62-55 win in the semifinals of the 2009 MAAC Championship in Albany.
GRIFFS VS. FAIRFIELD
- Jamie Ruttle is averaging 14 points in her five meetings with Fairfield. The 6-foot-3 forward is also shooting 51.9 percent in her career against the Stags.
- Ashley Durham is averaging 10.6 points in seven career games against Fairfield, including 17 points in two of the last three meetings.
- Ashley Wilkes scored 10 points on 4-of-4 shooting in 17 minutes in the meeting between the teams in the Koessler Athletic Center last season. Jen Lennox scored 11 points in 14 minutes in last year’s meeting in the KAC.
- Jen Morabito is shooting 47.1 percent (8-for-17) on 3-pointers in five career games against Fairfield.
- Brooke Angelos had six assists in 23 minutes off the bench in last year’s meeting in Buffalo.