Canisius College (4-4) at Murray State (4-4)
Friday, March 1 - 2 p.m.
Saturday, March 2 - 2 p.m.
Sunday, March 3 - 1 p.m.
Game 1: RHP Garrett Cortright (2-0, 1.32) vs. RHP Will Handlin (0-1, 5.06)
Game 2: RHP Rohn Pierce (1-1, 5.73) vs. RHP Cameron Finch (1-1, 6.52)
Game 3: RHP Devon Stewart (0-1, 8.00) vs. RHP Alex Gordon (0-1, 8.00)
The Canisius College baseball team plays away from home for the third time in the opening five weeks of the 2013 season, facing Murray State University for three games this weekend.
- Canisius has split four games on each of the opening two weekends of the season. The Griffs split doubleheaders last weekend at UNC Asheville.
- Canisius and Murray State are meeting for the first time in program history.
- Canisius is opening the season with its first 19 games away from the Demske Sports Complex. The Griffs' home opener is set for March 23, against Saint Peter's.
- Junior Garrett Cortright leads the pitching staff with a 1.32 earned run average, recording 12 strikeouts in 13.2 innings. Cortright earned MAAC Pitcher of the Week honors after the first weekend of the season.
- Junior Jesse Kelso leads the offense with a .458 batting average, 11 hits and six RBI. Kelso had three multi-hit games, including a career-high four hits in third game of last weekend's series at UNC Asheville.
- Canisius has 16 steals in 17 attempts through eight games. Sophomore Mike Krische leads the team with five steals.
- The Canisius baseball team has won 179 games since the start of the 2008 season, the fourth-highest total in the Northeast.
- Canisius has qualified for the postseason in each of the last six seasons, winning the MAAC regular-season title in 2008 and 2010.
- Canisius has had eight players selected in the Major League Baseball Draft since 2008.
- The Golden Griffins have had three All-Americans as well as three freshman All-Americans in the past six seasons.
MURRAY STATE SCOUT
- Murray State enters the weekend with a 4-4 record. The Racers have won four straight at home, including a three-game sweep of Bowling Green University last weekend.
- Noah Zipko leads the team with a .364 batting average while Brandon Eggenschwiler and Mike Kozlowski each are hitting .333.
- The Racers are yet to hit a home runs this season and have only allowed two homers. Murray State has three stolen bases while given up 15 steals through eight games.
- Through eight games, Murray State is hitting .287, averages 6.3 runs per game, has a 6.56 ERA and a .970 fielding percentage.