Canisius College (19-7) at Cornell University (15-7)
Thursday, April 4 - 3:30 p.m.
Hoy Field (Ithaca, N.Y.)
Probable Starters: RHP Billy Martin (0-1, 15.00 ERA) vs. RHP Roberto Suppa (0-0, 6.57 ERA)
NOTING THE GRIFFS
- Canisius plays its only midweek game at Ivy League member Cornell University on Thursday afternoon.
- Canisius has won its last five games and 15 of its last 18 contests.
- The Golden Griffins are on a season-long five-game winning streak for the third time this season. Rider and Marist are the only other teams in the MAAC with a one winning streak of five games.
- The Golden Griffins are 4-2 in the MAAC, which is tied for second place behind first-place Marist (5-1).
- Canisius and Cornell are meeting for the second consecutive season. The teams split a doubleheader at the Demske Sports Complex last year, and Cornell holds a 10-2 lead in the series.
- Canisius takes an eight-game road winning streak to Ithaca, which is tied with Cal-State Fullerton for the second-longest road winning streak in the country. North Carolina has the nation's longest streak at 12 games.
- Freshman Alex Godzak was named a Louisville Slugger National Player of the Week by Colleigate Baseball on Monday.
- Senior Christian Segar was named the MAAC Player of the Week on Monday while Godzak was named the MAAC Rookie of the Week.
- Entering the week, Canisius ranks 17th nationally in batting average (.308), 20th in scoring (7.2), fifth in triples (16), 11th in stolen bases (63), 13th in hit by pitch (47) and ninth in on-base percentage (.416).
- Junior Jimmy Luppens ranks fourth the country in on-base percentage (.542), 19th nationally in batting average (.421) and 26th in slugging percentage (.684). Junior Jesse Kelso is tied for seventh in the country with four triples.
- Junior Garrett Cortright is tied for third in the country with six victories while sophomore Devon Stewart is tied for eighth nationally with three complete games.
- Cornell enters Thursday's game with a 15-7 record and 3-1 mark in the Ivy League. The Big Red had a four-game winning streak snapped in a 3-1 loss to Yale on Monday.
- Cornell is hitting .257 while averaging 4.8 runs per game. Cornell has a team ERA of 2.99 with opponents hitting .232. The Big Red has a .964 fielding percentage.
- Matt Hall leads the team with a .301 batting average in 22 starts.
- Four Cornell players have seven or more steals, with JD Whetsel (12) and Spenser Souza (10) both in double figures as the Big Red has 48 steals on the year.
- Six Cornell pitchers have posted a save on the season.