Canisius College (20-7, 4-2 MAAC) at Rider University (13-12, 2-1 MAAC)
Sonny Pittaro Field - Lawrenceville, N.J.
Game 1: RHP Garrett Cortright (6-1, 1.42 ERA) vs. LHP Tyler Smith (4-2, 1.29 ERA)
Game 2: RHP Devon Stewart (2-3, 3.89 ERA) vs. RHP Kurt Sowa (5-1, 4.01 ERA)
Game 3: LHP Alex Godzak (4-1, 2.48 ERA) vs. RHP Mike Murphy (2-4, 3.68 ERA)
- The Canisius College baseball team continues its stretch of nine consecutive road MAAC games with a three-game series at Rider University this weekend.
- Canisius enters the series having won 16 of its last 19 games and on a season-long six-game winning streak.
- Canisius has won nine straight road games, the second-longest streak in the country. North Carolina holds the longest active streak in the country with 13 straight road wins.
- Canisius has a 16-4 road record, with the 16 road wins standing as the most at the Division I level.
- Canisius is on a winning streak of five or more games for the 14th time since 2008, the highest total in the conference.
- Canisius is one of 40 teams in the country with 20 or more wins. Canisius and Pittsburgh are the only teams in the Northeast region with 20 wins.
- Three Canisius pitchers combined to throw the program’s first nine-inning no-hitter at the Division I level in an 8-0 win at Iona on March 29.
- Freshman Alex Godzak won four awards this week after throwing seven no-hit innings against the Gaels, including Louisville Slugger National Player of the Week honors from Collegiate Baseball.
- Senior Christian Segar earned MAAC Player of the Week honors on Monday, after Segar hit .643 with five runs scored, five RBI and five steals in four games last week.
- Canisius has won 195 games since the start of the 2008 season, the fourth-highest total in the Northeast.
- Canisius has qualified for the MAAC Championship in each of the last six seasons, winning the MAAC regular-season title in 2008 and 2010.
- Canisius has had eight players selected in the Major League Baseball Draft since 2008.
- The Golden Griffins have had three All-Americans in the last five seasons.
- Canisius has had three freshman All-Americans since 2007, including sophomore Devon Stewart following the 2012 campaign.
- Coach Mike McRae won his 300th game on March 16. McRae has 307 wins in his career, trailing only Don Colpoys (325 wins) in the Canisius record books.
SERIES HISTORY AGAINST RIDER
- Rider leads the all-time series 28-22 between the teams, but Canisius holds a 14-7 lead in the last five years.
- Canisius won all four meetings between the teams, including a three-game sweep at the Demske Sports Complex that included two one-run (6-5, 8-7) wins in Saturday’s doubleheader and a 14-8 win in the series finale.
- No. 2 seed Canisius also defeated No. 4 seed Rider 10-3 in the winners’ bracket game at the 2012 MAAC Championship. The teams have met in each of the last five MAAC Championships, splitting the six meetings.
- Rider won the last series between the teams in Lawrenceville, which came in 2011. The teams split the Saturday doubleheader with Rider winning the rubber match.
- The only series win for the Griffs in Lawrenceville came in 2009. Rider has won five series and the teams have split two two-game series.
GRIFFS VS. RIDER
- Junior Jose Torralba is hitting .548 (17-for-31) in eight starts, with nine RBI.
- Junior Garrett Cortright has 12 strikeouts in 19 career innings, posting a 3.32 ERA in three starts (1-0).
- Senior Brooklyn Foster went 5-for-11 with four runs scored and two RBI last season.
- Junior Shane Zimmer has a .455 on-base percentage in eight career starts, to go along with eight RBI.
- Junior Jimmy Luppens hit .417 in four starts last year, with three runs scored and two RBI.
- Sophomore Devon Stewart allowed three runs in eight innings and struck out seven while picking up the win in the MAAC Championship last year.
- Rider enters the weekend series with a 13-12 overall record, 5-2 home record and 2-1 record in the MAAC.
- The Broncs took two of three games from Fairfield University last weekend, sweeping the Saturday doubleheader. Rider dropped mid-week games to Seton Hall and Maryland this week.
- Rider is hitting .268 as a team while averaging 5.1 runs per game. The Broncs have a team ERA of 3.71 and a team fielding percentage of .966.
- The Broncs rank second in the MAAC in hitting, first in team ERA and second in fielding percentage.
- Junior Jerry Mulderig ranks fourth in the MAAC in on-base percentage (.472) and leads the conference with 12 stolen bases. Mulderig leads Rider’s offense with a .382 batting average.
- Tyler Smith leads MAAC starting pitchers with a 1.29 earned run average and with 39 strikeouts. Kurt Sowa is third in the MAAC with an opponents’ batting average of .200. Zach Mawson leads the MAAC with five saves.
- Rider has allowed 12 runs in the seventh, eighth and ninth innings combined.