Canisius (13-12, 0-0 MAAC) at Rider (5-26, 1-1 MAAC)
Date: Saturday, April 6, 2013
Time: Game One starts at 1 p.m.
Place: Herb and Joan Young Field – Lawrenceville, N.J.
Live Stats: Through GoBroncs.com
Twitter: @GoGriffs (athletic department) or @Griffssoftball (softball)
Hashtags: #Griffs #MAACSoftball
SOFTBALL OPENS MAAC PLAY AT RIDER
- The Canisius College softball team will start the conference portion of the 2013 schedule Saturday afternoon when the Golden Griffins play Rider in a MAAC doubleheader in Lawrenceville, N.J.
- The Golden Griffins are 13-12 overall after splitting a non-league twinbill at Charleston Southern April 3.
- The Rider Broncs are 5-26 overall and 1-1 in league action after splitting a MAAC doubleheader at Saint Peter’s March 30.
- Canisius ended a four-game losing skid April 3 by cruising to a 12-2, five-inning win over Charleston Southern.
- The Griffs have scored 10 or more runs six times this season through 25 games – last year the Blue and Gold scored more than 10 runs in a game one time for the entire year.
- As a team, Canisius is hitting .290, which ranks 76th in the nation.
- Sophomore Robin Kennery leads the team with her .377 batting average and she also leads the squad with 28 hits, two home runs and 20 RBIs.
- Canisius leads the nation with 0.48 triples per game as a team, and the Griffs come into this weekend’s action with three players ranked among the top-90 in the country in total triples.
- Freshman Megan Cuda ranks third nationally with 0.19 triples per game and her four three-base hits this season lead the MAAC and rank 13th in the nation.
- In the team’s win over Charleston Southern on April 3, Cuda went 2-for-2 with a triple, two runs scored and six RBIs while also reaching base twice after drawing two walks.
- Senior Stephanie Pfentner ranks second on the roster with her .323 batting average. Entering the Rider series, four Griffs are hitting better than .300 on the year.
- Pfentner’s .485 on-base percentage is 97th in the country.
- Junior Jen Consaul is 9-6 with a 2.64 ERA and 66 strikeouts in 92.2 innings of work this season. She leads the Griffs’ staff with 20 appearances, 13 starts and 11 complete-games.
- Consaul starts this weekend’s actions with 26 career wins in the circle for the Blue and Gold.
- Canisius head coach Mike Rappl became the fourth Division I softball coach this season to record career win No. 800 March 15, when the Blue and Gold defeated George Mason 6-3. His 803 career wins are the most for any coach in any sport in MAAC history.
- The Broncs start this weekend series with a 5-26 overall record and a 1-1 mark in MAAC action.
- Rider is 2-8 in its last 10 outings and the team has been outscored 228-85 this year.
- Freshman Dana Sensi leads the team with her .367 batting average in 31 games played. She also leads the Rider offense with 36 hits, seven doubles, four homers and 18 RBIs.
- Redshirt freshman hurler Krista Morrone has a team-best five wins in the circle and she’s tossed 101.1 innings this season.
CANISIUS – RIDER SERIES
- This will mark the 37th and 38th all-time meeting between Canisius and Rider in softball, with the Griffs holding a 23-13 lead in the series.
- Canisius swept the 2012 regular-season series at the Demske Sports Complex and the team has won seven straight overall against the Broncs. In those seven wins, the Griffs have outscored Rider by a 48-9 count.
- The Griffs have won five of the last six game at Rider’s Herb and Joan Young Field, dating back to the 2007 season.