Canisius (14-13) vs. St. Bonaventure (5-27)
Date: Tuesday, April 9, 2013
Time: Game One starts at 3 p.m.
Place: Demske Sports Complex – Buffalo, N.Y.
Live Stats: Through GoGriffs.com
Twitter: @GoGriffs (athletic department) or @Griffssoftball (softball)
Hashtags: #Griffs #MAACSoftball
SOFTBALL HOSTS ST. BONAVENTURE ON TUESDAY
- After playing 27-straight games away from Buffalo, the Canisius College softball team hosts St. Bonaventure on Tuesday for the 2013 home opener.
- The Golden Griffins are 14-13 overall and 1-1 in MAAC play after splitting a league doubleheader at Rider April 6.
- The Bonnies travel to Buffalo with a 5-27 overall record and a 2-10 mark in Atlantic 10 play. St. Bonaventure has dropped seven-straight games, dating back to a win over Rhode Island March 29.
- The Griffs start today’s action with a 21-2 all-time record in the first game of the season played on the turf at the Demske Sports Complex.
- Dating back to 2006, Canisius is 38-14 in its last 52 home contests at the Demske, a win percentage of 73.1 percent.
- Canisius banged out a season-high 21 hits in the team’s 9-7 win over Rider April 6. As a team, the Griffs ranks second in the MAAC with 223 hits this season, one shy of Iona’s league-best number of 224.
- The Griffs are hitting .301 as a team, which leads the MAAC and ranks 54th nationally.
- Despite having played fewer games than three teams in the MAAC, Canisius leads the conference with 141 runs scored this year. The Blue and Gold ranks 68th in the country in runs per game at 5.22 per contest.
- Senior Katie Medina hit .588 (10-for-17) last week in six games with four doubles, three runs scored and three RBIs. In the team’s 9-7 win over Rider April 6, the Hamburg, N.Y., native had four hits, which is a career high.
- Freshman Megan Cuda, who ranks fourth nationally in triples per game, set a new school record for RBIs in a game by a freshman on April 3, when she drove in six runs in the Griffs’ 12-2 five-inning win over Charleston Southern on the road
- As a team, Canisius leads the nation in triples per game and ranks 15th nationally in doubles per contest. Of the team’s 223 hits this season, 72.6 percent of those have been for extra-bases
- The Griffs have six players hitting better than .300 on the season, led by senior Stephanie Pfentner, who is hitting .343 on the year
- Junior pitcher Jen Consaul picked up her 10th win of the season on April 6, as the Griffs defeated Rider 9-7 in game two of a doubleheader. The 10 wins for Consaul stand as her single-season career high.
SCOUTING ST. BONAVENTURE
- The Bonnies are 5-27 overall and 2-10 in Atlantic 10 play. The team comes into this afternoon’s non-conference games on a seven-game losing streak
- The Bonnies have been outscored 70-24 in their last seven games as the team’s ERA of 6.97 ranks last in the A-10
- Freshman Emily McDonough leads the team with her .343 batting average. Sophomore teammate Grace Rooney is hitting .313 on the year for the Bonnies. As a team, St. Bonaventure is hitting .250 on the year.
CANISIUS – ST. BONAVENTURE SERIES
- This will mark the 67th and 68th times Canisius has played St. Bonaventure in softball, with the Griffs holding a 53-13 lead in the series
- Canisius and St. Bonaventure have already played twice this season, with the Griffs defeating the Bonnies twice at the season-opening indoor tournament at Cleveland State in February
- In the last three meetings between these two schools, including Canisius’ 8-0 win at St. Bonaventure last season, the Blue and Gold have outscored the Bonnies by a 23-4 count.