WVU Coliseum (Morgantown, W.Va.)
Canisius vs. Fordham — Friday, 2 p.m.
Canisius vs. West Virginia — Friday, 6:30 p.m.
Canisius vs. Norfolk St. — Saturday, 10 a.m.
Canisius vs. Navy — Saturday, 2 p.m.
NOTING THE GRIFFS
- Canisius heads to the Mountaineer Invitational for four matches this weekend.
- The Golden Griffins started the 2013 season by hosting the Golden Griffin Invitational in the Koessler Athletic Center last weekend. The Griffs lost in four sets to Eastern Michigan and Hartford while falling in three sets to Cleveland State and NC State.
- Senior Sydney Palka was named to the All-Tournament Team at the Golden Griffin Invitational.
- Freshman Katlyn Tyler had a double-double with 15 kills and 14 digs against Eastern Michigan. The 15 kills were the most by a Canisius freshman in a collegiate debut in the last 12 years.
- Junior Emily Litwin posted a career-high 33 digs in the season opener against Eastern Michigan.
- Sophomore Rachel Kline had a career-high 10 kills against Cleveland State.
- Canisius was picked third in the MAAC preseason coaches poll. The Griffs were were picked in the top four for the sixth time in the last eight years.
- The Griffs have finished in the top four of the MAAC regular-season standings in each of the last three years and five times in the last seven seasons.
PREVIEWING THE GRIFFS
- Fordham went 1-2 at the Winthrop Classic last weekend, defeating Savannah State in three sets before losing to Winthrop and Tennessee Tech. Canisius and Fordham are meeting for the sixth time and for the first time since the 2007 season.
- West Virginia started the season with three wins at the Blue/Gold Invitational at Toledo, defeating Eastern Illinois, Loyola (Chicago) and Toledo. Canisius and West Virginia are meeting third time and for the first time since a five-set match during the 2007 campaign.
- Norfolk State went 1-2 last weekend, defeating Sam Houston State and losing to Loyola (Md.) in five sets and Appalachian State. Canisius and Norfolk St. are meeting for the second time, with the previous meeting coming in 2010 when the Griffs won in four sets at the Radford Invitational.
- Navy went 1-2 in its home tournament last weekend, losing to UNC-Wilmington and Elon while defeating Illinois-Chicago. Canisius and Navy are meeting for the sixth time and for the first time since the 2005 Western New York Invitational.