Saturday, Sept. 21 — 1 p.m.
Yanitelli Center (Jersey City, N.J.)
Canisius vs. Rider
Sunday, Sept. 22 — 1 p.m.
Alumni Gymnasium (Lawrenceville, N.J.)
OPENING MAAC PLAY
- Canisius starts its 2013 conference schedule with this weekend's trip to New Jersey, taking on Saint Peter's University and Rider University.
- Canisius posted a 13-5 record in MAAC play last season, the program's best record in conference play since the 2006 season.
- The Griffs started conference play with an 8-1 record last season.
- Canisius was picked to finish third in the preseason coaches' poll.
- Canisius has finished in the top four of the regular-season MAAC standings in each of the last three years and five times in the last seven seasons.
- Since 2006, Canisius has 78 MAAC victories in the last seven seasons, the third-highest total in the conference.
- Canisius has won 16 of the last 19 overall meetings with Saint Peter's, including each of the past two meetings in the Yanitelli Center.
- Canisius has won 14 straight matches against Rider.
NOTING THE GRIFFS
- Canisius ranks second in the MAAC in blocks per set (1.96). The Griffs have ranked in the top three of the league in blocks in each year since 2006.
- Senior Roxanne Hernandez ranks third in the MAAC in blocks per set (0.89).
- Sophomore Lauren Siebert is hitting .400 in the last three matches, including a career-high 19 kills at Bucknell on Sept. 14.
- Junior Emily Litwin ranks fourth in the MAAC in digs per set (4.47) and has double-digit digs in 10 of the 11 matches.
- Senior Emily Elek was named the Tournament MVP at the Bucknell Invitational after posting 22 kills in the two matches.
- Freshman Jacklyn Malusa is averaging 3.11 kills per set in the last five matches, and has three double-doubles on the season.
A LOOK AT THE OPPONENTS
- Saint Peter's enters conference play with a 2-10 record. The Peacocks defeated St. Francis (N.Y.) in four sets on Tuesday night.
- Lauren Behrens leads the team with a 2.57 kills per set average and 19 service aces. Jennifer Piska is first on the team at 4.76 digs per set.
- Rider enters the weekend with an 8-2 record, the best start to a season for the Broncs in the last 30 years.
- Freshman Bridget Sheerin leads the team with a .396 attack percentage and also is averaging 2.75 kills per set. Kaitlyn Griffin leads the team at 2.83 kills per set.