Canisius vs. Niagara
Wednesday, Oct. 2 — 6 p.m.
Koessler Athletic Center
Live Video: GoGriffs.com and MAAC.TV
Hashtags: #Griffs #BeatNiagara
NOTING THE GRIFFS
- The Canisius volleyball team (4-11, 2-2 MAAC) hosts rival Niagara University in a Battle of the Bridge contest in the Koessler Athletic Center on Wednesday night.
- Canisius is in the middle of a season-long five-match homestand.
- In its last 28 regular-season matches, Canisius has a record of 21-7.
- Canisius leads the MAAC with a 2.14 blocks per set average. The Griffs have been in the top three teams of the league in blocks per set at the end of each season since 2006.
- Canisius posted a season-high 16 blocks in Sunday's five-set loss to Siena.
- Sophomore Lauren Siebert ranks sixth in the MAAC in attack percentage (.275).
- Senior Roxanne Hernandez is tied for second in the MAAC in blocks per set (1.07) while junior Emily Litwin is fourth in digs per set (4.46).
- Canisius was picked third in the MAAC preseason poll. The Griffs have finished in the top four of the conference standings five times in the last seven years.
BATTLE OF THE BRIDGE
- Wednesday is the first of two regular-season meetings between Canisius and Niagara. Each matchup is worth one points in the all-sports Battle of the Bridge competition between the schools.
- Canisius won the Canal Cup last year for the third consecutive athletic season and for the fifth time in six years.
- The Battle of the Bridge is an all-sports competition between the schools. Points are awarded for all regular-season, conference match-ups between the schools, except for cross country, swimming and diving and golf where the points are awarded based on results in the MAAC Championship.
- After an 18.5-14.5 victory last year, Canisius has now won four of the last five competitions. Niagara won the inaugural competition in 2006-07 and also won in 2009-10 while Canisius also won in 2007-08 and 2008-09.
- Canisius needs 16.5 total points to retain the Cup while Niagara needs 17 points to reclaim the Cup.
NIAGARA SCOUT AND SERIES HISTORY
- Niagara enters Wednesday's match with a 1-14 overall record and 0-4 record in the MAAC.
- Amanda Sedore leads the team at 2.64 kills per set while Melissa McGwin is averaging 1.06 blocks per set.
- Former Canisius assistant coach Eric Buggs is now an assistant under first-year coach Vilis Ozols.
- Niagara has won the last nine meetings between the teams with the last Canisius win coming on Nov. 15, 2008, in the KAC.