Canisius (1-2-0, 0-2-0 AHA) at #6 Miami (3-2-1, 1-1-0 NCHC)
Dates: Friday, November 1 / Saturday, November 2
Times: 7:35 p.m. / 7:05 p.m.
Location: Oxford, Ohio. | Steve Cady Arena
Live Audio: GoGriffs.com
DI Series History: Miami leads, 4-0-0
Last Meeting: Miami 4, Canisius 0 / Miami 11, Canisius 1 (Nov. 2007)
After claiming a victory against nationally-ranked Denver on Saturday, the Canisius College hockey team faces another ranked NCHC school in No. 6 Miami. The teams are set to meet in Oxford on Friday at 7:35 p.m. and on Saturday at 7:05 p.m.
SCOUTING THE GRIFFS
• Canisius enters the weekend with a 1-2-0 mark, coming off a victory against 17th-ranked Denver on Saturday, 4-1.
• Senior defender Ben Danford leads the Griffs with five points this season (on 10 Canisius goals). Senior Kyle Gibbons and sophomore Ralph Cuddemi both lead the team with two tallies.
• Senior Tony Capobianco has started 2-of-3 games for Canisius with a 4.06 goals against average and .896 save percentage.
ASMUNDSON NAMED AHA GOALIE OF THE WEEK
• After leading Canisius to a 4-1 win against No. 17 Denver on Saturday, sophomore Keegan Asmundson was named Atlantic Hockey Goaltender of the Week.
• Asmundson registered a career-best 36 saves to lead Canisius to the win over the nationally-ranked Pioneers.
• In seven career appearances for Canisius (three starts), Asmundson owns a 1.38 goals against average and .957 save percentage.
A NATIONAL LEADER IN DANFORD
• Senior defender Ben Danford is saving his best for his final season.
• Danford leads the Griffs with five points this year. He currently ranks first nationally among defensemen with 1.67 points per game.
• Overall, Danford has registered an assist on half of the team’s goals this season (5-of-10). He also ranks fourth in the country among all players with 1.67 assists per game.
CANISIUS - MIAMI SERIES HISTORY
• The Griffs and RedHawks are meeting for the fifth and sixth times this weekend. Miami has won each of the previous four contests.
• The schools are meeting for the first time in six seasons.
• In the four games, the RedHawks have outscored the Griffs by a combined score of 23-3 (average of 5.75 to 0.75).
GRIFFS VERSUS NCHC TEAMS
• In its first year of the conference, the Griffs have faced six of the eight teams from the NCHC.
• Canisius owns an all-time mark of 2-16-1 against the eights schools in the NCHC.
• The Griffs are coming off a win against one of the league’s members in Denver, posting a 4-1 victory against the Pioneers on Oct. 26.
ABOUT THE REDHAWKS
• Miami is ranked sixth in the latest USCHO.com national poll and fifth in the USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine rankings.
• The RedHawks own a 3-2-1 record this season. Miami went 0-1-1 at Providence last weekend.
• Riley Barber currently ranks first nationally with 12 points and second with eight goals this season in just six contests. Austin Czarnik is right behind with 11 points (3g, 8a) on the season.
• Ryan McKay and Jay Williams have split time in goal for the RedHawks. McKay is 2-0-1 with a 2.93 goals against average and .914 save percentage, while Williams is 1-2-0 with a 3.00 goals against average and .901 save percentage.
Griffs Hockey Faces No. 6 Miami in Oxford
Courtesy: Canisius College Athletics