Canisius (3-2) at Buffalo (2-2)
Wednesday, Nov. 27 — 7 p.m.
Free Audio Broadcast: GoGriffs.com
Mike Scott (p-x-p)
Live Video: www.mac-sports.com
Live Stats: UBBulls.com
Twitter: @CanisiusWBB @GoGriffs #Griffs #MAACHoops
- The Canisius women’s basketball team plays its only road game in the span of 26 days with Wednesday night’s game against cross-town rival the University at Buffalo.
- Canisius and Buffalo are playing for the 37th time, with the Golden Griffins holding a 28-8 lead in the all-time series.
- Canisius defeated Buffalo 73-57 in last year’s season opener. Buffalo defeated Canisius 62-57 in the last meeting (Dec. 7, 2011) between the teams at Alumni Arena.
- Buffalo has won two of the last three meetings after a seven-game Canisius winning streak in the series.
- Senior Jamie Ruttle was named to the preseason All-MAAC Third Team. It is the third time in Ruttle’s career that she has been selected to a preseason All-MAAC Team.
- Canisius was picked to finish sixth of 11 teams in the MAAC Preseason Coaches’ Poll.
- At Big Four Media Day on Oct. 14, Ruttle was voted to the All-Big Four First Team while senior Jen Morabito and junior Kayla Hoohuli were each voted to the All-Big Four Second Team.
NOTING THE GRIFFS
- After Monday’s games, Canisius ranks second in the country with an assist on 75 percent of their made field goals.
- Canisius has a positive assist-turnover ratio (84 assists, 79 turnovers) on the season.
- Senior Jamie Ruttle ranks 25th in program history in points (940) and needs 60 points to become the 21st player in program history with 1,000 points.
- Senior Jen Morabito ranks 54th in the country in 3-point field goals made per game (2.8). Morabito also ranks sixth in program history in career 3-pointers (172) and is tied for first in 3-point field goal percentage (37.7).
- Senior Jen Lennox is third in the program’s Division I history with 85 blocks.
- Junior Kayla Hoohuli is the only Golden Griffin to score at least eight points in four of the first five games of the season.
- Buffalo enters Wednesday’s game with a 2-2 record. The Bulls have defeated Binghamton and Youngstown State and lost to Cornell and Duquesne.
- Sophomore MacKenzie Loesing leads the team at 16.3 points per game. Loesing earned All-Big Four Preseason Player of the Year honors.
- Kristen Sharkey is averaging 13.8 points and 8.0 rebounds per game. Sharkey is shooting 46.8 percent from the floor.
- Sharkey had 14 points and 10 rebounds in 27 minutes against Canisius last year.
- Buffalo is shooting 36.3 percent from the floor, 24.4 percent from behind the arc and 58.3 percent from the free-throw line. Buffalo is averaging more than 25 free-throw attempts per game.
- The Bulls are averaging 44.8 rebounds per game to go along with a 34.9 offensive rebounding percentage and 72 defensive rebounding percentage.
- Buffalo is forcing 18.8 turnovers and 10.3 steals per game.
- Buffalo was picked to finish third in the Mid-American Conference East Division in the preseason coaches’ poll.
- Felisha Legette-Jack is in her second season with Buffalo. Legette-Jack led the Bulls to an 8-8 record in MAC play last year. She previously coached at Indiana and Hofstra.