Canisius (8-4, 2-0 MAAC) at Notre Dame (8-4, 0-0 ACC)
Date: Sunday, December 29, 2013
Time: 5 p.m.
Location: Notre Dame, Ind. | Purcell Pavilion
TV: ESPNU and WatchESPN
Talent: Mike Couzens (p-x-p) and LaPhonso Ellis (color)
Live Audio: AM-1400 (Buffalo) & GoGriffs.com
Talent: Jay Moran (p-x-p)
Live Stats: Available through UND.com
Twitter: @Griffs_MBB | #Griffs; #MAACHoops
The Canisius College men's basketball team will travel to Notre Dame Sunday, Dec. 29, for the Golden Griffins' final non-league games of the 2013-14 slate. The Griffs have won two straight and five of their last six, dating back to Dec. 6.
• Canisius plays its final non-conference game of the 2013-14 regular season this evening when the Golden Griffins travel to play at Notre Dame.
• The Griffs are coming off an 87-74 win over Lamar at home Dec. 21. Canisius hit the Christmas break with a winning record for the second-straight season and for just the fourth time since 2000-01.
• The Griffs come into tonight’s game with an 8-4 overall record. The 8-4 mark through the first 12 games of the 2013-14 season matches the program’s second-best start through a dozen games since 2000-01. Last year’s team was also 8-4 after 12 games. The 2000-01 team went 9-3 in its first 12 contests of the season.
FAST BREAK POINTS
• Canisius comes into tonight’s game winning record in non-conference games for the second-straight season, the first time that has happened since the school joined the MAAC before the 1989-90 campaign.
• As a team, Canisius has scored 80-plus points in five games this season (5-0 in those contests) and 15 times in 46 games under second-year head coach Jim Baron. The Griffs are 12-3 when reaching 80-plus points in a game under Baron’s direction.
• This game is a homecoming of sorts for Jim Baron, who spent six years as an assistant coach at Notre Dame under former head coach Digger Phelps from 1981-87. Baron needs three more wins to pass Phelps’ career win total of 419 victories.
ABOUT THE FIGHTING IRISH
• Notre Dame enters this evening’s contest with an 8-4 record this season. The Fighting Irish lost to Ohio State Dec. 21, by a score of 64-61 in the feature game of the BlackRock Gotham Classic in Madison Square Garden.
• The Irish are 7-2 at home this season, where the team is averaging 80.1 points per game.
• Senior guard Jerian Grant leads the Notre Dame offense with his 19.0 points per game, but it was announced Dec. 22, that he has left the school for academic reasons.
• Senior center Garrick Sherman ranks second on the team with his 14.3 points per game, and his 7.4 rebounds per contest is tops on the Notre Dame roster.
• Senior guard Eric Atkins is posting 11.8 points and 4.3 assists per game for Notre Dame. Atkins joins with Canisius senior guard Billy Baron on the 2013-14 Bob Cousy Award Watch List.
• Notre Dame is shooting 47.6 percent from the field this season through 12 games and ranks 53rd in the nation with its 79.5 points per game scoring average.
CANISIUS - NOTRE DAME SERIES
• This will be the 24th all-time meeting between these two schools in a series that began Feb. 15, 1937 in Buffalo.
• Notre Dame has won six straight over Canisius, with the Griffs’ last win coming Feb. 4, 1961 in Buffalo’s Memorial Auditorium.
• Canisius is 0-7 on the road against the Fighting Irish and 0-4 in the Joyce Center.
• The first 13 games in this series were played in Buffalo, with Canisius making its first trip to Notre Dame, Ind., during the 1957-58 season. Since the 1960-61 campaign, Notre Dame has played just once in Buffalo, with that game coming in First Niagara Center on Dec. 22, 2001.