Canisius (11-16, 7-11 MAAC) vs. Fairfield (19-8, 14-4 MAAC)
Friday, Feb. 28 — 7 p.m.
Koessler Athletic Center
Live HD Broadcast: Golden Griffin Broadcast Network/MAAC.TV
Mike Scott (p-x-p)
Amy Audbiert (color)
Free Audio Broadcast: GoGriffs.com
Live Stats: GoGriffs.com
Hashtags: #Griffs #MAACHoops
- The Canisius women’s basketball team concludes the regular season with two home games, starting with Friday night’s game against Fairfield University in the Koessler Athletic Center.
- Canisius enters the weekend tied for sixth place in the conference standings. In next week’s MAAC Championship, the Griffs will be anywhere from the fifth through ninth seeds.
- Canisius and Fairfield are meeting for the 55th time. The Stags have won the last nine meetings between the teams.
- Fairfield defeated Canisius 63-57 in Alumni Hall on Jan. 24. The Stags jumped out to a 19-point lead in the first half before the Griffs tied the game with three minutes left.
- The 2013-14 season is the 25th year that the Golden Griffins have played in the MAAC.
NOTING THE GRIFFS
- Canisius has shot 40 percent or better in 13 games after shooting 40 percent or better five times in 31 games during the entire 2012-13 season.
- Senior Jamie Ruttle enters Friday’s game with 1,154 career points and ranks 15th in program history in career scoring and 15th with 557 career rebounds. Ruttle has scored in double figures a team-best 15 times this season and 58 times in her career.
- Junior Kayla Hoohuli has made a 3-pointer in 25 of 27 games this season. Hoohuli is averaging 11.7 points during the last 13 games.
- Senior Jen Morabito ranks fourth in program history in career 3-pointers (198) and third in 3-point field goal percentage (36.9).
- Senior Jen Lennox is third in the program’s Division I history with 102 blocks.
- Since entering the starting lineup on Jan. 12, redshirt junior Courtney VandeBovenkamp is avearging 6.5 points and 5.8 rebounds while shooting 53.2 percent in 24.7 minutes per game.
- Under Terry Zeh, Canisius is 46-31 in overtime games or games decided by five points or fewer — ranking as the best winning percentage (.597) in the MAAC since 2004-05. Canisius is 4-0 in such games this season.
- Fairfield enters Friday’s game with a 19-8 record and 14-4 record in the MAAC, sitting in third place in the conference standings.
- The Stags have won seven straight games after a 57-47 win at Siena on Sunday. The Stags have won five of those games by double digits.
- Katie Cizynski ranks fourth in the MAAC in scoring (16.4) and fifth in rebounding (8.3).
- Felicia DaCruz is third in the MAAC in assists per game (5.4). Alexys Vazquez is second in the MAAC at 3.0 3-pointers made per game and fifth with a 43.2 3-point field goal percentage.
- Fairfield has three of the top nine players in the league in terms of minutes played with DaCruz (34.9), Cizynski (34.9) and Vazquez (33.1).
- Fairfield has used the same starting lineup in 26 of 27 games with five players averaging more than 30 minutes per game.
- Fairfield ranks third in the MAAC with a 18.5 turnover percentage. The Stags are third in defensive rebounding percentage (69.0) and sixth in offensive rebounding percentage (28.9).
- In the month of February, Fairfield has a 13.1 turnover percentage, posting six of its best eight games on the season in the category. Prior to February, Fairfield had a 21.9 turnover percentage.
- Joe Frager is in his seventh season with Fairfield. The Stags have three 20-win seasons under Frager and advanced to the title game of the MAAC Championship twice in the last four seasons.
- Overall: Fairfield Leads 33-21
- At Canisius: Fairfield 15-9
- At Fairfield: Fairfield 16-8
- MAAC Tournament: Canisius 4-2
- First Meeting: Dec. 29, 1988 — Canisius 65, Fairfield 51
- Last Meeting: Jan. 24, 2014 — Fairfield 63, Canisius 57
- Canisius Biggest Win: 14 (76-62 on Feb. 11, 2006)
- Fairfield Biggest Win: 26 (97-71 on Feb. 18, 2002)
- Canisius Longest Winning Streak: 6 (Feb. 14, 2004 to March 3, 2006)
- Fairfield Longest Winning Streak: 9 — Feb. 13, 2010 to Current
- In the first meeting between the teams, Fairfield jumped out to a 19-point first-half lead. Canisius tied the game with three minutes left but could never take the lead and lost by six points
- Senior Jen Morabito scored a team-high 16 points while Crystal Porter had 15 points in Fairfield on Jan. 24.
- Fairfield has won the last nine games in the series, the longest winning streak in series history.
- The last Canisius win in the series came in the semifinals in the 2009 MAAC Championship, a 62-55 victory.
- The last Canisius win in the Koessler Athletic Center came on Jan. 10, 2008, when the Griffs defeated the Stags 58-57 on Kid’s Day by scoring eight points in the final 75 seconds.
- Senior Jamie Ruttle is averaging 11.4 points in seven career games against Fairfield