The Canisius College men’s lacrosse team returns from a nine-day break to face nationally-ranked Cornell on Tuesday. The Griffs and No. 15 Big Red are set to battle in Ithaca at 4 p.m.
For fans planning on attending the game, parking at Cornell University is restricted prior to 5 p.m. Fans must stop at an Information Booth to purchase a parking pass. For convenience, parking passes will also be sold in Hoy Parking Garage, adjacent to Schoellkopf Field.
SCOUTING THE GOLDEN GRIFFINS
• Canisius is 2-1 to start the 2014 campaign after splitting a pair of contests at the Frontier Airlines Face-Off Classic in Denver on Feb. 22-23.
• The defense has carried the Griffs in 2014, ranking 11th nationally with a 7.67 scoring defense.
• Alex Govenettio has anchored the unit with a 7.44 goals against average and .625 save percentage during his junior campaign.
• Sophomore Vince Gravino lead the Griffs with six points and four goals, while junior Tim Edwards has also added five points and a team-best three assists.
• Edwards also leads the Griffs at the faceoff X, claiming 74.4 percent of his faceoffs (32-of-43).
• Junior do-it-all midfielder Tim Edwards has excelled in his first season as the Griffs’ main face-off weapon in 2014.
• Edwards is ranked second in the latest NCAA rankings by winning 74.4 percent of his restarts (32-of-43). He has won at least 68 percent of his faceoffs in all three games this season.
• The junior was named to the Frontier Airlines Face-Off Classic thanks to his efforts at the X, winning 70.0 percent of his faceoffs (21-of-30) against Air Force and No. 5 Denver.
EDWARDS DOES IT ALL
• Griffs fans have been used to junior Tim Edwards doing a little bit of everything for Canisius.
• In addition to winning 74.4 percent of his faceoffs this season, Edwards has also collected a team-best 24 ground balls and three assists. He has also added two goals for five points in 2014.
• The junior currently ranks 13th nationally with 8.00 ground balls per game.
• Edwards is coming off a season where he led the Griffs with 39 points, 20 goals and 19 assists. He also won 51.2 percent of his restarts (21-of-41) and added 28 ground balls.
GOVENETTIO RANKS AMONG THE NATION’S BEST
• After a strong start to his junior campaign, Alex Govenettio also ranks among the nation’s best.
• Govenettio currently places ninth in the country with a .625 save percentage, 12th with a 7.44 goals against average and 16th with 11.67 saves per game.
• The junior has shown quite an improvement from the 2013 campaign, when he was the team’s starter for the first time. Govenettio has improved his save percentage by .197 from last year’s mark of .428 in 11 starting assignments.
CANISIUS - CORNELL SERIES HISTORY
• The Griffs and Big Red are meeting for the 11th time, including the seventh-straight year.
• Cornell has won each of the previous 10 meetings by an average score of 17.0 to 5.8.
• Last season, the schools met at the Demske Sports Complex with the No. 3 Big Red earning an 18-7 victory. The schools played an even first 40 minutes before Cornell scored the game’s final 10 goals for the victory.
ABOUT THE BIG RED
• Cornell is a perfect 3-0 to start the 2014 season and are ranked 15th in the latest USILA national coaches poll.
• The Big Red are coming off a 15-14 overtime victory at Michigan on Saturday.
• Matt Donovan leads the Big Red with 14 points this season on 11 goals and three assists, while Dan Lintner has netted a team-best 13 goals.
• Brennan Donville has played every second in net for Cornell, posting a 9.87 goals against average and .444 save percentage.
• Doug Tesoriero has won 61.3 percent of his faceoffs this season (49-80).
Men's Lacrosse Plays No. 15 Cornell on Tuesday
Courtesy: Canisius College Athletics