Canisius (19-10) vs. Akron (14-14)
Wednesday, April 8 - 3 p.m.
Demske Sports Complex
RHP Josh Shepley (1-0, 8.44 ERA) vs. LHP Pat Dyer (1-2, 7.06 ERA)
- Canisius begins its second eight-game homestand of the 2014 season on Wednesday, which starts with a non-conference game against the University of Akron.
- Canisius and Akron are meeting for the second time this season. The Zips defeated the Golden Griffins 2-1 in 10 innings on April 2.
- Canisius is 8-0 at home this season, its best start to the home schedule since 1994 when the Griffs started the home schedule with a 14-0 record.
- Canisius also is on a nine-game, home winning streak, the sixth-longest, active home winning streak in the country.
- Since the start of the 2008 season Canisius has 236 wins, which are the most of any team in the Northeast.
- Canisius is the only team in the Northeast to have 33 or more wins in five of the last six seasons.
- At the start of the week, Canisius had seven players (averaging at least 2.5 plate appearances per game) hitting above .305 while the rest of the MAAC combined had nine players.
RECAP OF FIRST MEETING
- Canisius saw its eight-game winning streak come to an end in a 2-1 loss in 10 innings against Akron at Canal Park on April 2.
- The Griffs tied the game in the ninth with an RBI double from Jesse Kelso. The Zips won the game in the 10th on a pinch-hit, RBI single from Brady Stewart.
- Freshman Zachary Trumpler allowed one run in three innings in the start while senior Mike Tolsma threw 3.1 scoreless innings of relief.
- Akron beat Canisius for the first time in four meetings.
IN THE NATIONAL RANKINGS
- Entering the week, Canisius ranks on the national leaderboard in a number of categories:
- 10th in batting average (.310)
- 14th in scoring (7.4 runs per game)
- Sixth in triples (15)
- 19th in slugging percentage (.426)
- Seventh in on-base percentage (.417)
- The Griffs also have a number of players who rank nationally:
- Anthony Massicci - 25th in on-base percentage (.495)
- Jimmy Luppens - 27th in on-base percentage (.492)
- Rohn Pierce - 45th in WHIP (1.17) and 14th in victories (six)
- Akron enters Tuesday's game at Pittsburgh with a 14-14 record after losing two of three games against Miami (Ohio) on the weekend.
- Probable starter Pat Dyer is making his sixth start of the season. Dyer most recently pitched at Marshall on April 1, allowing five runs in 3.1 innings.
- Akron is hitting .273 on the season and averaging 5.1 runs per game. The Zips have a team ERA of 4.22 and team fielding percentage of .963.