Canisius (28-14, 11-4 MAAC) at Quinnipiac (15-21, 10-3 MAAC)
May 3-4, 2014
QU Baseball Field (Hamden, Conn.)
RHP Rohn Pierce (8-2, 2.29 ERA) vs. RHP Thomas Jankins (4-6, 4.04 ERA)
LHP Alex Godzak (6-3, 2.78 ERA) vs. LHP Justin Thomas (1-3, 3.54 ERA)
RHP Devon Stewart (4-5, 5.00 ERA) vs. RHP Brandon Shileikis (2-1, 3.76 ERA)
- Canisius continues a stretch of nine consecutive conference games away from home with a three-game series at second-place Quinnipiac University this weekend.
- The Golden Griffins enter the weekend on a six-game winning streak, their third winning streak this season of at least six games. That six-game winning streak is the eighth-longest in the country.
- Canisius has an 11-4 record in MAAC play, which is currently good for third place in the league standings.
- The top six teams will qualify for the 2014 MAAC Championships, to be held May 21-25, in Lakewood, N.J. The top two teams will receive a first-round bye.
- Canisius, the 2013 MAAC champions, has qualified for the last seven MAAC Championships - the longest streak in the conference.
- Canisius has 16 road wins, which ranked second in the country at the start of the week. The Griffs have won their last five road games, the sixth-longest road winning streak in the country.
- Canisius started the week ranked No. 100 in the official NCAA RPI. In the last two weeks, Canisius has moved from No. 163 to No. 100.
- Junior Rohn Pierce and Connor Panas were named to the Capital One Academic All-District First Team on Thursday. They are now eligible to be named an Academic All-American, which will be announced at the end of May.
- Sophomore Brett Siddall was named the MAAC and ECAC Player of the Week on Tuesday. Canisius has won seven weekly awards from the conference office this season, the most in the MAAC.
- Since the start of the 2008 season Canisius has 245 wins, which is the highest total in the Northeast as the Griffs lead Connecticut (243).
- Canisius is the only team in the Northeast to have 33 or more wins in five of the last six seasons.
NOTING THE GRIFFS
- At the start of the week, junior Rohn Pierce was one of seven pitchers in the country with at least eight victories, at least 80 innings pitched and an ERA of 2.30 or better.
- At the start of the week, Canisius has four players hitting .340 or better. The rest of the MAAC has one player combined.
- Junior Mike Krische enters the weekend with 42 stolen bases in his career. Krische is the first Golden Griffin to reach 40 stolen bases before the end of his junior season.
- The weekend starting pitchers for Canisius - Pierce, sophomore Alex Godzak and junior Devon Stewart - have gone at least six innings in 28 of their 32 starts this season, including 16 straight games.
- Entering the weekend, sophomore Anthony Massicci ranks 14th in the country in on-base percentage (.494) while freshman Christ Conley ranks 24th (.478) and senior Jimmy Luppens ranks 26th (.477).
- Canisius is the only team in the country with three players in the top 30 in on-base percentage.
- Conley is the only freshman in the country to rank in the top 50 in OBP.
- Canisius has 19 triples on the season recorded by a total of 12 players, which is tied with Texas Tech for the most number of players with at least one triple in the country.
RACKING UP THE ROAD WINS
- Canisius has won 16 road games this season, including five straight away from the Demske Sports Complex.
- At the start of the week, the 16 road wins tied for the second-most in the country, trailing the total of 17 road victories by Seton Hall.
- The five-game, road winning streak is currently the sixth-longest streak in the country.
SCOUTING THE BOBCATS
- Quinnipiac enters the weekend with a 15-21 overall record and 10-3 record in the MAAC., good for second place in the conference standings. The Bobcats have dropped their last five games after a season-long nine-game winning streak.
- Quinnipiac is hitting .244 as a team, led by Vincent Guglietti at .328 to go along with a team-best four home runs and 28 RBI.
- The Bobcats have a team ERA of 5.24, but in conference play, Quinnipiac has a team ERA of 2.03, which is the best in the conference. In four starts in MAAC play, Thomas Jankins is 3-2 with a 1.27 ERA while Brandon Shileikis is 2-0 with a 2.01 ERA in 22.1 innings in league play.
- Quinnipiac is 14-3 when allowing four or fewer runs, which happened in all nine games of their winning streak in April.