Games No. 16-19
Canisius College (10-5) at Ohio University (3-11)
Friday, March 15 - 2 p.m. (DH)
Saturday, March 16 - 1 p.m.
Sunday, March 17 - 1 p.m.
Game 1: RHP Garrett Cortright (4-0, 1.29 ERA) vs. RHP Jake Miller (1-2, 5.33 ERA)
Game 2: RHP Rohn Pierce (1-1, 6.20 ERA) vs. RHP Marck Paliotto (0-4, 5.82 ERA)
Game 3: RHP Devon Stewart (1-2, 5.40 ERA) vs. RHP Connor Sitz (0-2, 5.52 ERA)
Game 4: LHP Alex Godzak (1-1, 2.70 ERA) vs. TBA
- Winners in six of its last seven games, the Canisius College baseball team heads to Athens, Ohio to face Ohio University in a four-game series this weekend.
- Canisius and Ohio met in a three-game series in 2003 with the Bobcats sweeping all three games.
- Canisius is opening the season with its first 19 games away from the Demske Sports Complex. The Griffs' home opener is set for March 23, against Saint Peter's.
- Junior Jesse Kelso was named the MAAC Player of the Week on Monday. Kelso hit .462 in the four-game series at Longwood last weekend, scored eight runs and posted a .769 slugging percentage and .611 on-base percentage.
- Canisius is one of two teams in the Northeast Region, along with Maryland, with 10 wins on the season.
- On the season, Canisius has seen the leadoff batter reach in 46 percent of the innings while limiting its opponents to 33.1 percent.
- The Canisius baseball team has won 185 games since the start of the 2008 season, the fourth-highest total in the Northeast.
- Canisius has qualified for the postseason in each of the last six seasons, winning the MAAC regular-season title in 2008 and 2010.
- Canisius has had eight players selected in the Major League Baseball Draft since 2008.
- The Golden Griffins have had three All-Americans as well as three freshman All-Americans in the past six seasons.
- Canisius has also had four Capital One Academic All-Americans during the last three seasons.
- Junior Garrett Cortright leads the pitching staff with four victories in four starts to go along with a 1.29 earned run average and 25 strikeouts in 28 innings.
- Junior Jesse Kelso leads the team with a .426 batting average, 19 runs scored and 20 hits. Kelso is also tied for the team lead with 12 RBI.
- Junior Jimmy Luppens is second on the team with a .424 batting average and paces the squad with six HBP in 10 games.
- Freshman Alex Godzak threw seven shutout innings in a 7-0 win at Longwood on Sunday, allowing three hits, walking one and striking out four.
- Canisius has stolen 37 bases in 41 attempts on the season and allowed six steals in 11 attempts.
- Junior Garrett Cortright is tied for second nationally with four victories. At the start of the week, Cortright was one of 19 pitchers in the country with four wins in four appearances.
- Canisius ranks 31st in runs per game (7.0), 26th in doubles per game (2.2), 12th in stolen bases (37), 19th in hit by pitch (28) and 35th in on-base percentage (.399).
- Junior Jesse Kelso is 17th in the country in runs per game (1.36) and 50th in batting average (.426).
- Ohio enters the weekend with a 3-11 record. The Bobcats lost 6-3 to No. 9 Kentucky on Tuesday, after losing two of three to Oakland last weekend.
- Taylor Emody leads the team with a .345 batting average while Jake Madsen is hitting .340 with a team-best 18 hits.
- Jake Miller (5.33 ERA) and Marck Paliotto (5.82 ERA) have each made five starts on the season. Logan Cozart has a 0.87 ERA in nine appearances (10.1 innings) out of the bullpen.
- Ohio is hitting .233 as a team, has a 5.18 earned run average and a .960 fielding percentage.