Canisius (9-5, 3-0 MAAC) at Marist (4-9, 1-2 MAAC)
Date: Monday, January 6, 2014
Time: 7 p.m.
Location: Poughkeepsie, N.Y. | McCann Arena
Talent: Dean Darling (p-x-p) and Ed Weir (color)
Live Audio: AM-1400 (Buffalo) & GoGriffs.com
Talent: Jay Moran (p-x-p) and Dave Schofield (color)
Live Stats: Available through GoRedFoxes.com
Twitter: @Griffs_MBB | #Griffs; #MAACHoops
The Canisius College men's basketball team wraps up its three-game road swing with a MAAC game at red-host Marist Monday night in the McCann Arena. Canisius is one of three undefeated teams in the MAAC, while Marist enters the game riding a four-game winning streak.
• Canisius closes out its three-game road swing tonight when the Golden Griffins take on Marist in the McCann Arena. The Golden Griffins come into this game tonight with a 3-4 record on the road in 2013-14.
• The Griffs are coming off a 67-63 win at Saint Peter’s on Saturday afternoon. Canisius led the game by as many as 24 points in the first half, but the Blue and Gold withstood a comeback attempt by the Peacocks to end up taking the regular-season series from Saint Peter’s.
• The Griffs come into tonight’s game with an 9-5 overall record and a 3-0 mark in MAAC play. This marks the second time Canisius has started league play 3-0, with the other occasion coming in the 1994-95 campaign. That year, Canisius opened MAAC play with a 5-0 mark.
FAST BREAK POINTS
• Canisius starts this game tonight averaging 80.7 points per game through three MAAC games. The Griffs hold a scoring margin of plus-11.3 in conference games.
• Canisius senior Billy Baron scored a team-high 25 points in the Griffs’ win over Saint Peter’s Saturday. Baron has scored 20 or more points nine times this season and 24 times in his college career.
• Canisius freshman Zach Lewis made two 3-pointers in the win over Saint Peter’s on Saturday, his fourth-straight game where he’s hit two treys in a game. His second 3-pointer came with 15 seconds left in regulation time to seal the win for the Blue and Gold.
ABOUT THE RED FOXES
• Marist comes into tonight’s game with a 4-9 record and a 1-2 mark in MAAC play. The Red Foxes have won four straight after defeating Fairfield 75-56 Jan. 2, in the McCann Arena.
• Junior Chavaughn Lewis leads the Red Foxes with his 16.5 points per game scoring average. That ranks seventh in the MAAC.
• Senior Adam Kemp is pulling down 7.3 rebounds per game for Marist, which ranks sixth in the league. He also ranks second in the MAAC with his 2.0 blocks per contest.
• As a team, Marist is averaging 62.7 points per game, which ranks 10th in the conference, but in the team’s current four-game winning streak, the Red Foxes are averaging 72.3 points per game.
• The first half has been key to Marist’s recent four-game winning streak, as the Red Foxes are out scoring their last four opponents by a combined score of 153-89 in the game’s first 20 minutes.
CANISIUS - MARIST SERIES
• This will be the 38th all-time meeting between Canisius and Marist, with the Golden Griffins holding a 22-15 advantage in the series.
• The Griffs have won nine of the last 12 games between these two programs, dating back to 2008-09.
• Canisius beat Marist in Poughkeepsie, N.Y., last season by the score of 94-82 to even the series in the McCann Arena at 8-8 all-time.
• These two schools did not play until Marist joined the MAAC prior to the 1997-98 season.