Live Stats
Live Events

Campus Chronicles with Peter MacDougall

Courtesy: Canisius College Athletics
Release: 10/21/2008
Related Links

Sunday was a day to relax and was used to do some much needed catching up on homework. We were coming off of a split with Ferris State of the CCHA. The Friday night win was a big step for the hockey program at Canisius. The victory was the first for the Griffs against a team from one of the four original conferences (CCHA, ECAC, Hockey East, WCHA).

Monday and Tuesday put us back to work on the ice and in the weight room. Because of Canadian Thanksgiving and Columbus Day we did not have to worry about school work. However, we did spend some time in the classroom watching film, making sure everyone was on the same page for the weekend games ahead against Holy Cross.

Classes resumed Wednesday and much to my dismay, I had to take a test in a class that wasn’t one of my best. After class was over I headed to workout, which was followed by practice. Practice and workouts were at the same intensity as usual. We were focused on winning the first two games of conference play.

With Thursday came an early morning, the Griffs had practice at 7 a.m. to ensure that we would be at class on time and so that our bus could depart at 1 p.m. for Worcester, Massachusetts.

Friday arrived and after the pre-game ritual of eat, skate, nap, and eat was completed, our first conference game began. Holy Cross scored around the ten-minute mark of the first period, taking the early advantage. Both teams went back-and- forth trying to capitalize on their opportunities for the next 40 minutes. That was when Jason Weeks stepped in over the blue line and took a shot on net that was tipped by Cory Conacher. Neither team was able to get the go-ahead goal from there and the game ended in a 1-1 tie.

With Saturday’s game being at 4 in the afternoon, the turnaround time was a little shorter than usual. I was forced to alter my pre-game ritual and because of the schedule, I did not get the chance to have my pre-game coffee. The team however was not affected by the schedule. Cory scored again early in the contest, giving us a 1-0 lead. Holy Cross would tie the game up late in the first. The second period did not go as planned. Just over five minutes into the period I hit a Holy Cross player low that resulted in a double minor penalty. From there on we found ourselves in some penalty trouble. The Crusaders made us pay. They took a 4-1 lead heading into the third. After a good discussion with the boys, we were determined to come back and win the game. Freshman Dave Kostuch led the charge early in the period, scoring a shorthanded goal. Shortly after the halfway mark of the third, Carl Hudson cut the deficit to one. Shortly thereafter the crusaders took a two-goal lead again. But the boys never quit, with just under a minute to go Dave Kostuch scored his second of the game. We had a number of opportunities 6 on 5 but were unable to capitalize.

The team came together in the third and showed a lot of heart tonight, but all the effort was for not. As I climb into my seat and prepare for the bus ride home I come to the realization that we let two points slip away tonight and I hope the boys have learned a valuable lesson that will help us in the future.

This is your captain here, over and out.
Pete MacDougall #32

Campus Chronicles and additional Canisius hockey coverage can be found each week in the Buffalo and Niagara area in the Metro Source. For previous entries plus additional Canisius features, visit Metro Source's website by clicking here.

America One
Social Media