Game No. 4
Canisius (3-0) at Stony Brook (3-1)
Date: Saturday, Nov. 24, 2012
Time: 12 p.m.
Place: Pritchard Gymnasium (1,630) - Stony Brook, N.Y.
Video: Through GoSeawolves.org (pay-per-view)
Radio: AM-1400 (Buffalo)
Free Online Audio: GoGriffs.com
Talent: Jay Moran (p-x-p)
Twitter: @GoGriffs (athletic department) or @Griffs_MBB (men's basketball)
Hashtags: #Griffs #maachoops
CANISIUS PLAYS FIRST ROAD GAME OF 2012-13 AT STONY BROOK
- The Canisius College Golden Griffins will play their first road game of the season Saturday afternoon when the team takes on Stony Brook in Pritchard Gymnasium.
- The Griffs are 3-0 after beating Buffalo at home Nov. 20. This is the first time Canisius is 3-0 since 2000-01.
- Stony Brook is 3-1, having lost its only game of the season Nov. 18, at home to Sacred Heart.
- This will mark the first time Canisius and Stony Brook have played in men's basketball.
FAST BREAK POINTS
- Canisius is coming off a 71-64 win over Buffalo at home Nov. 20. The Blue and Gold has scored 70 or more points in its first three games in each of the last two seasons.
- Canisius' home victory over Buffalo is the program's fourth-straight home victory, dating back to last year. The Griffs will be at home again Dec. 17.
- Canisius is looking to end a nine-game road losing streak, which dates back to the team's overtime victory at South Dakota Dec. 18, 2011.
- As a team, Canisius leads the MAAC in assists per game (15.7) and turnover margin (plus 8.67). Canisius has 47 assists this year against 30 turnovers.
- The Griffs were charged with just seven turnovers in the team's win over Buffalo Nov. 20, the fewest for the team since Feb. 4, 2011 when Canisius had eight turnovers against Marist at home.
- Canisius had all five starters score in double figures in the win over Buffalo - the first time that has happened since Feb. 4, 2011 in a win over Marist.
- Senior center Freddy Asprilla is eligible to play today after sitting out the team's first three games of the season after violating a team rule. This will be his first college basketball game since Jan. 12, 2011, when he played for Kansas State against Colorado.
- New head coach Jim Baron is the first Canisius head coach to win his first three games at the helm of the program since John McCarthy opened the 1974-75 season with five-straight victories.
ABOUT THE SEAWOLVES
- Stony Brook is playing its first game since Nov. 18, today. The team is 3-1 on the year after falling to Sacred Heart by a score of 64-62 at home in its last outing.
- The Seawolves have already played two other MAAC schools, defeating Marist and Rider on the road.
- Stony Brook went 22-10 last season and won the America East regular-season championship before earning an NIT berth, the program's first postseason appearance at the Division I level.
- Junior guards Anthony Jackson and Dave Coley lead Stony Brook in scoring average, as both players are scoring 11.5 points per game through the team's first four contests this season.
- Senior forward Tommy Brenton leads the Seawolves with his 8.3 rebounds per game. As a team, Stony Brook is averaging 6.5 rebounds per game more than its opponents.
- The Seawolves are averaging 67.2 points per game while holding opponents to just 56.0 points per game. Stony Brook's field goal percentage defense has opponents shooting 36.3 percent from the field, and the team has forced 62 turnovers in four games.
CANISIUS - STONY BROOK SERIES
- This afternoon's contest between the Golden Griffins and the Seawolves will be the first in program history.
- Dating back to 2005-06, Canisius is 8-7 in its last 15 games when meeting an opponent for the in school history.
- Former Canisius head coach Nick Macarchuk served as the Seawolves' head coach from 1999-05.
CANISIUS vs. THE AMERICA EAST
- Canisius is 62-32 all-time against current schools from the America East Conference.
- This season, Canisius is scheduled to play three America East members, including this afternoon's game at Stony Brook. The Griffs started the year with an 83-75 win over Boston University and will travel to play at UMBC Nov. 29.
- Last year, the Griffs earned two wins over America East schools with home victories over Binghamton and UMBC.