Canisius College (24-10, 4-5 MAAC) at Manhattan College (16-18, 6-6 MAAC)
April 20-21, 2013
Van Cortlandt Park (Riverdale, N.Y.)
Game 1: RHP Garrett Cortright (6-2, 1.58 ERA) vs. RHP John Soldinger (2-2, 3.74 ERA)
Game 2: LHP Alex Godzak (5-2, 2.80 ERA) vs. RHP Jacob Marchus (2-1, 1.93 ERA)
Game 3: RHP Devon Stewart (2-4, 5.04 ERA) vs. RHP Michael Scarinci (2-2, 3.46 ERA)
- The Canisius College baseball team concludes its stretch of three straight conference series away from home with this weekend’s three-game series at two-time defending MAAC champion Manhattan College.
- Canisius is one of two MAAC schools, along with Iona, who play nine straight MAAC games away from home in 2013.
- Canisius is 17-7 in road games this season after the April 10 win in Akron. The Griffs enter the weekend tied with Cal-State Fullerton for first in the country at the Division I level with the 17 road wins.
- Canisius enters the weekend on a four-game winning streak after a doubleheader sweep (7-5 and 2-1) of the University at Buffalo on Wednesday afternoon.
- The walk-off win in the second game was the first walk-off win for the Griffs since a 1-0 win over Fairfield in the first round of the 2012 MAAC Championship and first at the Demske Sports Complex since a 5-4, 10th inning win over Buffalo on March 30, 2011.
- Since starting the season 4-4, Canisius is 20-6 in its last 26 games.
- Canisius extended its home winning streak to five games, the longest streak at the Demske Sports Complex since a 10-game winning streak spanning the end of the 2010 and beginning of the 2011 season.
- Canisius leads the MAAC in 11 offensive categories, including by 27 points in batting average and by 1.5 in runs per contest.
- The Canisius pitching staff leads the MAAC in strikeouts per nine innings (7.0) and in fewest walks per nine innings (2.69). Canisius is the only pitching staff averaging fewer than 3.1 walks per nine innings and also the only staff with a strikeouts per nine innings average over 6.2.
- The Griffs also lead the MAAC in fielding percentage (.968).
- Canisius has had three winning streak of five games or longer this season. The Griffs have had 14 winning streaks of five or more games since 2008, the highest total in the conference.
- Three Canisius pitchers combined to throw the program’s first nine-inning no-hitter at the Division I level in an 8-0 win at Iona on March 29.
- Canisius has 13 Canadians on its roster, the most at the NCAA Division I level.
MANHATTAN SERIES HISTORY
- Manhattan leads the all-time series 35-20. The Jaspers have won seven of the last eight meetings between the teams after Canisius won all five meetings between the teams in 2010.
- The teams have met in the postseason in each of the last five seasons, with Canisius winning four of those seven meetings. The Jaspers defeated the Griffs twice in the championship round of the 2012 MAAC Championship in Troy, N.Y. to win the conference title last season.
- Manhattan won both games between the teams in Riverdale in 2011, with the third game cancelled.
- Manhattan enters with a 16-18 overall record and 6-6 record in conference play. The Jaspers snapped a three-game losing streak with a 4-3 win over Army on Wednesday. Manhattan lost last weekend’s series against Rider after taking a series against Marist the previous weekend.
- Manhattan is hitting .242 and averaging 3.8 runs per game. The Jaspers have a team ERA 5.07 and fielding percentage of .967.
- Ramon Ortega leads the team with a .288 batting average and 19 RBI. Nick Camastro is hitting .286 with 12 hit by pitch and 12 stolen bases. Christian Santisteban is second in the MAAC with five homers.
- John Soldinger has thrown a team-high 55.1 innings with a 2-2 record and a 3.74 ERA. He has an opponents’ batting average in .230. Michael Scarinci threw a seven-inning shutout of the Griffs last season. Jacob Marchus has three saves and a 1.93 ERA in 11 appearances (18.2 innings).