Date: Monday, November 11
Time: 7 p.m.
Location: Buffalo, N.Y. | Koessler Athletic Center
TV/Webcast: Golden Griffin Broadcast Network in HD
Talent: Jay Moran (p-x-p), Dave Schofield (color) & Kyle Ferrera (sideline)
Live Audio: AM-1400 (Buffalo) & GoGriffs.com
Live Stats: GoGriffs.com
Twitter: @Griffs_MBB | #Griffs; #MAACHoops
The Canisius College men's basketball team will open the 110th year in school history on Monday, Nov. 11, when the Golden Griffins play host to South Dakota. Canisius will be honoring veterans and military personnel on Monday, and the first 200 fans will receive a free American flag.
TONIGHT’S OPPONENT: SOUTH DAKOTA
• South Dakota opened the 2013-14 season Saturday with a 68-46 loss at St. Bonaventure.
• The Coyotes went 10-20 last season and are under the direction of first-year head coach Joey James.
• South Dakota is 1-0 all-time in the Koessler Athletic Center, having beaten the Golden Griffins 67-55 Dec. 8, 2011.
DID YOU KNOW?
• Canisius is opening the 110th season in program history tonight. The Golden Griffins are the first team in the MAAC to reach the 110-year varsity anniversary.
• The Griffs hold an all-time record of 75-32 in season-opening contests (no records for the 1913-14 and 1918-19 seasons) after beating Boston University 83-75 in the 2012-13 season opener.
• Since 1940, Canisius is 51-21 in home openers and 12-9 when the home opener is played in the Koessler Athletic Center.
• This marks the second-straight year where the Griffs have opened the season at home - the first back-to-back season opener/home opener combination since 2006-07 and 2007-08.
ABOUT THE COYOTES
• South Dakota comes into tonight’s game with an 0-1 record after losing at St. Bonaventure 68-46 Saturday night.
• The Coyotes shot just 33.3 percent from the field and 22.2 percent from 3-point range in the loss to the Bonnies to go along with 17 turnovers.
• South Dakota is under the direction of first-year head coach Joey James, who took over for former head coach Dave Boots in September.
• Junior guard Brandon Bos scored a team-high 14 points in the team’s loss at St. Bonaventure on Saturday. He was named All-Summit League Honorable Mention last season.
• Senior Trevor Gruis scored 13 points at St. Bonaventure in the season opener. He averaged 12.3 points and 6.1 rebounds per game last season.
• South Dakota went 10-20 overall and 5-11 in Summit League action last year.
CANISIUS - SOUTH DAKOTA SERIES
• Tonight’s game between Canisius and South Dakota will be the fourth all-time meeting between these two schools.
• The Griffs lead the all-time series by a 2-1 count, with their last win coming in overtime at South Dakota Dec. 18, 2011.
• In the three previous meetings between these two programs, the road team has come out on top all three times.
• Canisius and South Dakota first met Dec. 7, 2010 in the Coyotes’ DakotaDome.
• This game will mark the first time Canisius head coach Jim Baron has coached against South Dakota in his 27-year head coaching career.