CLEVELAND, OHIO – The Canisius softball team dropped a pair of games on Sunday on the final day of the CSU Dome Invite in Cleveland, Ohio. In the first game, The Golden Griffins lost to the host Cleveland State Vikings 5-4 in eight innings before being shutout 8-0 in five innings by Bowling Green in the second game of the day. Canisius is now 2-2 on the season.
Canisius trailed Cleveland State 2-0 after four inning of play, but the Griffs cut that margin to one run at 2-1 in the bottom-half of the fifth thanks to an RBI-single by senior Lindsey Silfer, which allowed sophomore Lauren Castro to score. The score would remain 2-1 in favor of Cleveland State until the bottom of the seventh, when Silfer walked into the batter’s box and tied the game at 2-2 with a solo shot to center with two outs in the inning.
The Vikings scored three times in the eighth to take a 5-2 lead, but Canisius answered with two runs in the home-half of the extra-frame thanks to a fielder’s choice credited with junior Moriah Harris which knocked in a run, and an RBI-single by freshman Sydney Kreimann to make the score 5-4. But that was as close as Canisius would get, as Cleveland State pitcher Mackenzie Joecken got a line-drive out with the tying run at first.
Silfer had two hits, two RBI and scored a run in the loss, while Kreimann and fellow freshman Cassie Ho each had two hits, and each player had a double for the Blue and Gold. Castro took the loss in relief, as she allowed three runs (one earned) on three its to go with four strikeouts and three walks. Junior Madi Weathers threw four innings for Canisius and allowed two runs on five hits to go with two strikeouts.
In the second game of the day, Bowling Green (3-0) scored twice in the first and then added four runs in the second en route to an 8-0 win in five innings. Castro had both of the hits in the loss for the Griffs, as she tallied a pair of doubles.
Inside the Box Score
• Canisius pounded out a total of 31 hits in the first four games of the season. Last year, the Griffs had 19 total hits through the first four games of the season.
• Fifteen of the Griffs’ 31 hits through the first weekend of the season have been for extra-bases, with 11 of those being doubles.
• This was the 19th all-time game between Canisius and Cleveland State, with Cleveland State leading the series 10-9.
• The Griffs have played Bowling Green three times in series history, and the Falcons have a 2-1 lead in that series.
• This marks the fourth time Canisius has taken part in the CSU Dome Invite event, and the Griffs have been .500 or better out of the first weekend three times, including this year.
Canisius will travel south to Charlotte, North Carolina to take part in Charlotte’s First Pitch Classic, which is set to begin Feb. 17. The Griffs will play two games on Feb. 17, as they meet Bowling Green at 10 a.m., and St. Bonaventure at 12:15 p.m.