Junior pitcher Garrett Cortright (Hamburg, N.Y.) was selected by the Baltimore Orioles in the 40th round of the 2013 Major League Baseball Draft on Saturday. Cortright is the seventh Golden Griffin taken in the last five years and is the third Canisius junior selected in the draft since 1994.
The 6-foot-5 righty posted an 11-4 record in 16 starts to go along with a 2.41 earned run average and 76 strikeouts. Cortright led the conference in earned run average and was tied for first with the 11 victories. Cortright set a conference record with 115.2 innings pitched to go along with five complete games. An All-MAAC First-Team selection, Cortright threw a nine-inning one-hitter in the first round of the 2013 MAAC Championship, allowing one unearned run, walking none and striking out seven.
In 47 career appearances (41 starts), Cortright is 21-14 with a 3.40 ERA and 181 strikeouts in 275.2 innings. Cortright is third in program history in wins, ERA and games started, fourth in strikeouts and second in opponents’ batting average (.243)
Cortright joins Steve McQuail, taken by the Toronto Blue Jays in the 2010 MLB Draft, and Joe Mamott, taken by the Boston Red Sox in the 1994 MLB Draft, as Canisius juniors who were drafted with one year of eligibility remaining.
Canisius Draft Picks
- Garrett Cortright # - 2013 (Baltimore Orioles, 40th round)
- Sean Jamieson - 2011 (Oakland Athletics, 17th round)
- Chris Cox - 2011 (Toronto Blue Jays, 39th round)
- Shane Davis - 2011 (Toronto Blue Jays, 42nd round)
- Steve McQuail # - 2010 (Toronto Blue jays, 30th round)
- Kevin Mahoney - 2009 (New York Yankees, 23rd round)
- Kevin Mailloux - 2009 (Seattle Mariners, 45th round)
- Joe Mamott # - 1994 (Boston Red Sox, 6th round)
# - selected as a junior