Canisius (2-2, 0-0 MAAC) vs. Georgia State (2-2, 0-0 Sun Belt)
Date: Monday, November 25
Time: 5 p.m.
Location: Elon, N.C. | Alumni Gym
TV/Webcast: Available through Elon Phoenix All Access
Talent: Matt Krause (p-x-p) and Ryan Balick (color)
Live Audio: AM-1400 (Buffalo) & GoGriffs.com
Talent: Jay Moran (p-x-p)
Live Stats: GoGriffs.com
Twitter: @Griffs_MBB | #Griffs; #MAACHoops
The Canisius College men's basketball team travels to Elon, N.C., to take part in the final two games of the 2013 NIT Season Tip Off. The Golden Griffins will begin their play in the consolation round against Georgia State Monday night at 5 p.m. This will be the first meeting between the Griff and the Panthers.
TONIGHT’S OPPONENT: GEORGIA STATE
• Georgia State comes into this evening’s game with a 2-2 record after falling to Alabama 75-58 in the NIT Season Tip Off second round Nov. 19.
• The Panthers are averaging 82.8 points per game, having scored 80-plus points in three of their first four games. The team ranks 63rd in the nation in scoring average (as of Nov. 24).
• Georgia State is in its first year as a member of the Sun Belt Conference. Previously, Georgia State was a member of the Colonial Athletic Association.
• Canisius moved to 2-2 on the year Nov. 19, with an 86-85 come-from-behind win over Elon in the NIT Season Tip Off consolation bracket in Piscataway, N.J.
• In that win over Elon, Canisius shot 57.7 percent from the field, the best shooting percentage for the team since the Griffs shot 60.4 percent from the field in a win over Loyola (Md.) Jan. 31, 2013 at home.
FAST BREAK POINTS
• This is the 110th season of Canisius men’s basketball. The Griffs are the first MAAC school to reach the 110-year varsity anniversary.
• This is the second time Canisius has taken part in the NIT Season Tip Off event. The Griffs are 2-2 all-time in the NIT Season Tip Off, having previously gone 1-1 in the 1994-95 event.
ABOUT THE PANTHERS
• Georgia State comes into this game tonight with a 2-2 record after losing at Alabama Nov. 19, in the second round of the NIT Season Tip Off.
• The Panthers have played just one of their first four games at home. That home game was a 97-79 win over Southern Poly on Nov. 9.
• Senior guard R.J. Hunter leads Georgia State with his 18.0 points per game scoring average. He is also averaging 5.5 rebounds per game while shooting 45.8 percent from the field, 38.7 percent from 3-point land and 80 percent from the free-throw line.
• Redshirt-junior guard Ryan Harrow ranks second on the team with his 15.8 points per game and he leads the Panthers with his 4.5 assists per game. Harrow started 24 games last season for Kentucky.
• Redshirt-junior Curtis Washington leads Georgia State with his 6.8 rebounds per game this season. Washington sat out the 2012-13 season after transferring from Southern Cal.
• Georgia State head coach Ron Hunter is in his third-year at the helm of the Panthers’ program. His son, R.J., is a senior on this year’s team.
CANISIUS - GEORGIA STATE SERIES
• Tonight’s game between Canisius and Georgia State will mark the first meeting in program history.
• Dating back to 2005-06, Canisius is 10-10 in its last 20 games when meeting an opponent for the in school history.